MSE News: Nationwide: slight dip in house prices

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Prices edged 0.1% lower during January ..."
Read the full story:
Nationwide: slight dip in house prices

OfficialStamp.gif

A similar thread has already been started on the 'debate house prices' board but is not viewable to all users.

Comments

• foofi22
    foofi22 Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Oh no! So house prices can go down as well as up? And could there be some random variation of fractions of a percent thrown in too? Well I never would have thought.
  • rickbonar
    rickbonar Posts: 448 Forumite
    We must start a campaign for the government to up interest rates NOW!
  • MacMickster
    MacMickster Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    rickbonar wrote: »
    We must start a campaign for the government to up interest rates NOW!

Either my sarcasm radar is not working properly today, or you want to send house prices into a dramatic downward spiral and trigger credit crunch 2.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Either my sarcasm radar is not working properly today, or you want to send house prices into a dramatic downward spiral and trigger credit crunch 2.

Sounds OK to me, get a bit more on my savings and maybe pick up a cheap BTL.
  • Welshy_Pete
    Welshy_Pete Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2011 at 8:53PM
    The fact is house prices are over priced. Why people where I live bought one house for £26,000 then 6 years later £130,000. No way can this carry on its gone up to quick to fast. Its time prices come down to what there really worth.

Anther house was £50,000 now its £125,000. You cant keep having big gains in afew short years. People dont earn that much money to lend. Prices have gone up but wages havn't common sense. This is why were in the recession due to big debts. No body can afford to borrow big money they never pay it back simple

People have made loads on houses buying them cheap. Its time to let new people have a chance and am affraid there a very good chance houses will drop untill people start buying again. One thing for sure thats going to take alot of price dropping. Cause people dont have money to waste or borrow anymore. House rent going up and this cant carry on the bubble going to burst on the housing market selling houses the good days are coming to a end.

So houses will drop and its time to let other people have a chance to own one. What comes around goes around. what goes up must come down and its going to happen.
  • rickbonar
    rickbonar Posts: 448 Forumite
    yes time for house price bounce downward!

It's about time too they gave the people with savings interest rates that at least was a little better than inflation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure