Irish Passport

Options
I have just got a new Irish passport 2005 it doesnt have the chip but it does have the barcode. I am going to Florida at Xmas do i need to get a visa? or would i be best to get a British passport?

Thanks in advance

Stephanie

Comments

• Franko43
    Franko43 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    I think you will be OK - you can always fill in a visa waiver form available on the plane over
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To be absolutly sure ring the US embassy in Dublin

Telephone: 00 353 1 668-8777

(they are closed today Friday 10th, Veterans holiday in USA)
  • leftieM
    leftieM Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Be careful! A friend who had a british passport without a chip wasn't allowed board the plane in Dublin. He had to drive home, get the instant mega-expensive passport and fly out a few days later. Most unpleasant!
    Stercus accidit
  • wotnoshoeseh
    Options
    What chip! I have an Irish Passport and I have had no problems getting into America in the past. What is the chip?
    Cheers,
    wotnoshoeseh
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,071 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A biometric passport is a combined paper and electronic identity document that uses biometrics to authenticate the citizenship of travelers. The passport's critical information is stored on a tiny RFID computer chip, much like information stored on smartcards. Like some smartcards, the passport book design calls for an embedded contactless chip that is able to hold digital signature data to ensure the integrity of the passport and the biometric data.
  • D.A.
    D.A. Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Biometric passports are *not* required for entry into the US at the moment, but any *new* passports issued must have the chip. Current passports which are machine readable (i.e. have the barcode thingy) work fine for entry to the U.S.

(In case you're wondering, I've just come back from the U.S., travelling using my Irish passport)
  • barber1982
    Options
    I think i will get a British passport just in case . I live in Cardiff so they are issued in Newport 10 miles from Cardiff. Just to be on the safe side. Thanks for all the useful info
  • SteveyJC
    SteveyJC Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    are all new (british) passports issued now with a chip?
    if i had known then what i know now
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think dublin was being xtra carefull in not permitting that poster to board as there is a cross over period whilst the chip passports gradually filter through to everyone when they renew their existing ones.

Bethxx
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure