Great 'Biggest financial fear' Hunt

Options
123457»

Comments

• rugbychick81
    rugbychick81 Posts: 82 Forumite
    edited 6 February 2011 at 8:37AM
    Options
    I used to be petrified of financial insecurity ... until I lost my job in December. I was terrified of losing the house. After several weeks of wallowing I gave myself a stern talking to:

I have good health and
    I have THE BEST friends and family

The worst that could happen was losing the house ... Luckily I am back in employment again but the prospect of losing all the material things no longer worries me like it did. I appreicate I might think differently if I was older, if I had children to consider or other agencies chasing me for money but to me, life is pretty damn good right now!
    July 2015 - £7800 to pay off
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    Options
    cattyboo wrote: »
    2. The rising cost of living. We don't have much disposable income as it is, with the remainder from household bills, rent, food and petrol going on clawing my way out of the above mentioned overdrafts how am I going to cope?

3. Having no savings. I can't afford them. But it means I can't cope if one of life's little disasters crops up, say the car needs expensive repairs, or we have to move house, literally don't have the wiggle room to save myself a coping cushion and live in fear of being put under that pressure.

May2013 wrote: »
    Job security - if I lose my job my world will systematically fall in around me.
    1. The rate at which the cost of living is rising....I'm trying so hard to repay my debts and have tight budgets in place but that means there is little, if any, room for manoeuvre....every day the mortgage rate stays put is a blessing.
    On a brighter note - I welcome the fact that the next generation (particularly my children) are learning that money doesn't grow on trees!! Hopefully they will reach my time in life without a legacy of debt to deal with!
    *jobags* wrote: »
    My children know money doesn't grow on trees - it comes out of a machine.
    I'm now trying to explain how it gets into the machine (i.e.work) but they are having difficulty making that link

All of these, for a start. The whole financial situation is a mess that makes me feel sick to even think about. And although it's hard to believe it could get any worse, I think it will not too far from now.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For me it's got to be having no job when I move house. I want to move to a cheaper place with a better LL. I work short term contracts, so having no job when I move will make things more difficult!
  • topmarkymark
    Options
    the fear of having our savings taken away/in account of illness/university costs/getting no help with job loss/retierment all because of having savings! is savings really worth it?:mad:
  • Maat
    Maat Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sarah*a wrote: »
    Changing from IB to ESA - and the whole 'support group' 'non-support group' fiasco :mad:

I should be OK but the whole thought of it is making me ill again :(

Sarah, I'm so sorry you were suffering with this and I hope you found the support you needed. One question - why should you be ok? Seriously, you're a human, a vulnerable, imperfect human, why should you be ok when you weren't before? Give yourself a break, it's ok to feel bad sometimes - maybe for a long time if that's where you are. Give yourself some space, some time, some compassion. Tell yourself the things you'd tell a friend if they had the same issues.

Reading the other responses, well I'm well beyond the point of no return on most of them. I've been unemployed since February 2008 (less three months earlier this year which didn't work out). I'm a woman who's gonna be 50 in a few months and I've not had a permanent job since I hit 40. What hope have I of ever getting a job again?

I have a mortgage that scares the hell out of me and debts from using my credit card to live on that scares the hell out of me too. Out of 33 jobs I applied for in less than 2 months I heard from only one and that was to tell me to get lost. I've spent hours and days on these applications, often answering the same pointless question two or three times as they just reword it to pad it out, but it means the same thing. And they can't be bothered spending 30 seconds typing my email address into a standard 'you're rubbish, we don't want you' message.

I've been suffering with depression for years - not just because of the unemployment but before that too - and I don't qualify for any help with anything because a) I'm under 60 and b) I don't have kids. No-one cares about you if you're a single female with no kids.

Your fears are where I am and I hope none of you follow because it really is hell.
  • BlueSD
    BlueSD Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    I think my biggest financial concern is about when we get to retirement age - which is at least 30 years away! We have credit card debt, which we're clearing slowly and steadily, are learning to be MSE in our everyday lives and a beautiful cottage with a significant mortgage that we're barely making inroads on. We now have NO savings for our future and my own pension is worth around £500 a year! We want to support our kids and enjoy life now - but I'm conscious that there's nothing planned for when retirement comes round.

BlueSD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport