Defrosting stew

Options
I cooked a beef stew in my slow cooker last week and froze 4 portions. I got a portion out of the freezer last night to defrost for tea tonight, just checked it and it seems to have gone really thick and gloopy (like thick custard consistency).

Is this normal? I am worried about reheating it later as it really does not look appertising. I was going to microwave it to reheat but now not so sure.

Not quite sure what has gone wrong, new to batch cooking so pretty clueless but was hoping it would save me some money.

Comments

• viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It should return to the right consistency when warmed. enjoy
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    Not only should it return to the right consistency, but stew is so much better when it's been frozen too!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • gin
    gin Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    Did you use cornflower to thicken it? This can go a bit funny when frozen I have found.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its fine, it does look odd when you defrost it, but will be normal when cooked.

Make a note of this also if you happen to make a sausage casserole, that has a very unapitizing ring of grease around the outside, :D but I promise it goes when cooked.

*From a fussy eater when it comes to dates type person*
  • becky4131
    becky4131 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys, i reheated it in the oven and it was lovely! Didn't look great to start with but tasted fab :p
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Options
    I've found most things when defrosted look a bit odd to begin with, but once heated up they sort of come back to life as it were. Don't worry about it, and as someone said things like stews, soups, curries can be better when cooked, cooled and reheated. In fact, my mum makes a broth that you don't actually eat the day it's made as it isn't really nice then, it's as if it's supposed to be eaten the day after being made (when it is delicious!).
  • caroc
    caroc Posts: 935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think when food freezes, some things (water, fat, solid matter etc ) separate and are kind of suspended in a layer or separate area as they defrost having no opportunity to emulsify again. when you reheat them they all mix up. Perhaps a physics boffin can expand on the theory, as I don't know the proper words.
    Still virtually alcohol free since 4/1/15. (10 Xmas/ New Year/Birthday drinks)
    It takes 3500 calories to lose a pound in weight. Target 13 lbs weight loss. 18.5lbs lost 2nd May - 28 September.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure