Any tips for not using a credit card at xmas?

Options
It's a bit late for this year but I want to make a start for next year so I don't fall into the trap of using my credit card at christmas.
Does anyone have any good tips and ideas for saving for christmas? Do you put some aside each month?
Buying presents throughout the year is not very practical for me as I have 2 young children that will change their minds about what they want over the 12 months.
:o I always seem to end up using the card and then we have to wait till OH gets a little bit of overtime, which is very erratic and not to be relyed on, to pay it off.
I feel very frustrated and cross with myself and determined not to do it again!! Any words of wisdom?:beer:
"all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."

Comments

• skystar
    skystar Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    Hi HopeElizzy

Here is what I do for saving for Christmas:

- Put a set amount into a savings a/c each month
    - Each time I am in Morrisons for my weekly shop I get a £1 saving stamp (either use this for food at Crimbo or for gifts/toys/books/sweets)
    - Save my Boots and Nectar points throughout the year
    - Pick up stuff in the sales. I know what you mean about kids changing their minds but I get little stocking fillers, pyjamas/underwear/clothes (next size up), anything I consider a "safe bet" really

This year I am hoping not to spend any actual cash as I have saved loadsa points and vouchers :D

Hope this helps
  • nik0510
    nik0510 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    hi Hopelizzy, all I do, is put a set amount each month by standing order into my tesco savings account, then when i go christmas shopping i either get my cash from the hole in the wall or phone them and transfer the money into my current account, this is usually used solely for pressies, sweets, crackers etc, i buy as i go along, a good feeling to know that you arent overdrawn and that whats in your hand is your budget. good luck
  • bunny-zoe
    Options
    Usually each month I send a set amount to my savings account which is to cover birthday and christmas presents for the year. This way if I see anything in the summer sales I have the money set aside. Having said that I am annoyed with myself as I did end up spending it in August to pay off our holiday balance. I did have the intention of putting it back but of course never did. I have saved myself like this for some years and this is the first time I have ever dipped into my xmas fund. I will start saving again in January and will not be dipping into this money unless it is an emergency.
  • HopeElizzy
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas .....I think the main thing I've got from your posts is to save regularly. I think I need to start putting a set amount into an account and not touch it till christmas, easier said than done sometimes though:D
    Even if it's only £10 a month that will give me a head start next year.
    :beer:
    "all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."
  • Queen.Bess
    Queen.Bess Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    Hi HopeElizzy, here are a few things that could help you out. It's what DH and have done for this year and will do more in earnest for next Christmas!

*Sign up to pigsback.com and click away! I only joined in April and had enough for 2 £10 boots vouchers for this year, so next year we'll click like crazy and hopefully have even more vouchers!
    *Lightspeed surveys. DH and I have done this since the summer and I got enough for £15 of vouchers - loads of high street shops. DH got £20 so that's good.
    *Save tesco and nectar points for the year.
    *Join a local credit union, should be more secure than farepak, plus you get a bit of money back at the end of the year. My county certainly has one available!

Good Luck and we'll compare next Christmas as to how well we did!!
    Official DFW Nerd Club #20 :cool: Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D DFW Long Hauler #109 :o

Slowly, Slowly = Oct '09: £30693, Aug '15: £14820. Could Be Debt Free April 2020, but hoping for sooner!
  • princess_moomoo
    Options
    i was going to start Park next week for next year but after farepak i am a little dubious so instead i will:

* Save saving stamps with Tescos and Asda as they both sell food, toys, clothes, food most things,
    * Use my Boots, Nectar (for Argos) and Tescos (tescos the november payout) points / vouchers,
    * Use my pigsback points and lightspeed points for vouchers

* and def buy bits in the year when they are on sale. If near Christmas you child / relative would of grown out or not like that trend you can always then EBay them off, and if you brought them cheap enough in the first place you should re coup cost and maybe a little profit too!

Good luck x
    i love the paidtoshop website X
  • princess_moomoo
    Options
    Queen.Bess wrote:
    Hi HopeElizzy, here are a few things that could help you out. It's what DH and have done for this year and will do more in earnest for next Christmas!

*Sign up to pigsback.com and click away! I only joined in April and had enough for 2 £10 boots vouchers for this year, so next year we'll click like crazy and hopefully have even more vouchers!
    *Lightspeed surveys. DH and I have done this since the summer and I got enough for £15 of vouchers - loads of high street shops. DH got £20 so that's good.
    *Save tesco and nectar points for the year.
    *Join a local credit union, should be more secure than farepak, plus you get a bit of money back at the end of the year. My county certainly has one available!

Good Luck and we'll compare next Christmas as to how well we did!!

what is a credit union and are they safe??
    i love the paidtoshop website X
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,543 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Credit unions are fab & yes they are safe.
    Ive saved/borrowed with one for years.
    There are all different types ie where you live/work ect.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Save
    Buy Early when it's on offer the things you can buy early for other people etc, I'm the same with the boys and waited this year to buy theirs but bought bits over the year for others and things they would like like books etc.
    Buy your own gift vouchers and saving stamps if you are scared you will dip into savings.
    Save in an account in someone you trusts name, Mum keeps mine for me sometimes.
    Set a budget and stick to it.
    Join all the rewads givers you can find, points surveys etc etc

CUT UP THE CREDIT CARDS OR GIVE THEM TO SOMEONE ELSE THEN YOU CAN'T

I've done the above and this year over the moon so far as I have all my sons presents bought already and some for other people, and all the cash and vouchers I need to buy everything with.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

- Morrison's saving stamps, usually get £3 worth a week over the year and that easily sorts out the food and drink

- Morrison's miles £5 vouchers- for filling up with petrol get saved up throughout the year and that will go towards the Christmas shop

- we do not go too mad on pressie's as Grandparent's, Aunty's and Uncle's buy our little girl presents, worth asking what relatives are buying first.

- decided with agreement from the rest of the wider family that we will now only buy the kids in the family presents (that will save a small fortune)

- tchibo has some good stuff that make good stocking fillers https://www.tchibo.co.uk - their stock changes every week and the prices are good and the merchandise is good quality, for example all electricals are guaranteed for 3 years.

- over this year I have bought some books that were on sale that will be christmas gifts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure