We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

made some of my christmas cakes last night

Finally got round to making 5 of my 12 christmas cakes last night. Their only 4" cakes and I made an 8" cake mix to do them and still have enough mix left for 2 more cakes. The mix is in the fridge and I'm not gonna be able to bake the others till tomorrow, does anyone know if the mix will be ok in the fridge until tomorrow?

p.s. I used the tinned sponge pudding tins (51p in Morrisons) and they have worked REALLY well!

DEBT FREE for the first time in 10 years and with savings!

1st Baby due May 2011 :o it's a BOY:j

Comments

• finc
    finc Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Can I just ask, when you use the sponge pudding tins how long do you cook them for. I've made my Christmas cake but never made smaller ones and I'm not very good at scaling down recipes and adjusting times.

Where do you buy small cake boards and boxes as well?

Sorry, in answer to your question, I've no idea if the mix will keep but I would guess the answer is yes because of the alcohol and sugar :confused:
    :smileyhea
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Second Anniversary
    The mix will be fine in the fridge.

I make my mini cakes with large baked bean tins - cut the bottom off and line with greaseproof paper. I don't know the proper cooking time, I just put the oven on about 20 degrees lower then keep checking them with a skewer.

I make the cake boards from cardboard and cover with foil. I don't know where to buy boxes but Hobbycraft sell box templates.
    Bulletproof
  • For bigger cakes I cover a bread board in foil to present them on.
  • janetmw
    janetmw Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You can get small cake boxes (6"square) from this supplier

BagnBoxMan

Not used them myself, but I have it bookmarked for future reference.

Once a 4" cake has been decorated and placed on a board, I would think that a 6" box would be the ideal size

Hope this helps

Janet
  • Frogling
    Frogling Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    Hi leni - as troo has already said, the mixture will be fine in the fridge until tomorrow. I made mine at the weekend, and used the mixture up over two days as I didn't have the time to bake them all on the same day. I used your recipe (thanks again for that) and they look perfect! :D
  • leni
    leni Posts: 942 Forumite
    I'll be using 6" cake boards and 6" cake boxes from cakecraftshop.co.uk, it'll cost about £13 for 10 of each

oh and I cooked them at 150 degrees for just under 2 hours

DEBT FREE for the first time in 10 years and with savings!

1st Baby due May 2011 :o it's a BOY:j
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Ahhh, I wish you hadn't posted the link to the cakecraft shop - I've just spent lots of time (and money :eek: ) on it :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.