Present for Mum and Dad in Oz

Options
Hi,
My mum and Dad live in Oz and I have no idea what to buy them!!!
Any other ex-pats out there with ideas??

Its usually books or videos cause they are easy to post. Online hampers etc cost an absolute fortune.

I don't really want to spend more than £20 altogether and I'm happy to get individual presents....

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    I have to send parcels out to New Zealand and Oz. Mine too seem very predictable. Books, cd's, dvd's. I have put some photo's in frames for Mil and grandparents. What about cushion covers, an apron, an album of photo's? (trying to think of lightweight items). I have put in a gimmicky flying rocket thing for BIL as it will be summer and it was light.

Good Luck :)
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    I was sent some Cornish scones and cream once and I'm sure the company sent abroad but I can't find it off hand via Google and could only find this one which is UK only.

http://www.cornishcream.com/

Maybe have a look for something like this?
  • angelfairy
    angelfairy Posts: 3,594 Forumite
    Options
    I completely sympathise.

I am in the same situation at you.

What I am going to do this year for my mum & dad and my nan is calendars through Snapfish.

My OH and I were back home in Oz earlier this year so I am going to use some of the photos we took to make up the calendar.

I must get started actually.
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If they have grandchildren etc, what about a little webcam that they could use to chat to you on the internet, or little voice recordable cards (if they have grandkids etc), what things did they like when they lived in the UK, a little pack of goodies that they liked and miss now they are in OZ.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you send food over?
    I love the idea of the webcam and also the calander.
    I might give them a go.
    Thanks
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My pal in Perth, WA loves Minstrels, Galaxy chocolate, Cadbury's creme eggs. She can buy some of the things over there but they are a fortune and don't taste the same. So I sent her a little chocolate selection box of various bags of sweeties etc that she likes. Just got to be careful though, so flipping hot in Summer (our Winter) that she just threw the parcel in the fridge as soon as it arrived, didn't open it until everything had solidified again. :-) You could maybe see if you are able to get a voucher or something from a local computer retailer over there, big company or something and send them it so they can get a little webcam. Not sure whether if you bought one here it would be compatible or not with their PC. I'm not much into technical stuff so perhaps someone else would know.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • pippa_h
    pippa_h Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How about a case of wine? You can easily find an Australian company online and get them to deliver. The exchange rate should work in your favour!

Wouldn't send any food from overseas - Aussie customs are very strict about this.
  • Chester_Draws
    Options
    This site has a nice gift box with a few old type English sweets, inc
    • Black Jacks
    • Fruit Salad
    • 2 Sherbert Fountains
    • Liqorice Allsorts
    • Rountree Fruit Pastels
    • Bon Bons
    • Sports Mixture
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Drum Sticks[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Parma Violets[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Flying Saucers[/FONT]
    354770-1.jpg

Works out at about £19.50 inc. postage.

In terms of value for money its probably a rip off, but in terms of nostalgia could be ideal ?

(remember to use Nationwide debit card if you have one, and you will not pay a penny in currency conversion charges)

http://www.gifts2thedoor.com/p/60262/english-sweet-basket.html
    Bad Spellers of the world untie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family