dressmakers

Options
Hi

i was wondering if anyone has any experience with getting a pattern of bridesmaid dress and having it made by a dressmaker and what the cost was?

i am considering doing this for my bridesmaid who is a size 18-20 as shop prioces are a bit out of my budget.

any advice appreciated

thanks
love you lots like jelly tots :o

Comments

• meadowcat
    meadowcat Posts: 417 Forumite
    Options
    I could pm you the name and phone number of a dressmaker in Dunmurry. No idea how much it would be, but I'm sure she could give you an estimate.

How much do bridesmaids' dresses cost these days in the shops? I am just wondering if buying the fabric and then paying to have it made might be more expensive - but I have no idea as I'm too long married to know the cost nowadays!
  • rjh090384
    rjh090384 Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    they cost about £125 these days. might be too dear for dressmaker but to be honest i have no idea what they cost?
  • belfastgal
    Options
    rjh090384 wrote:
    they cost about £125 these days. might be too dear for dressmaker but to be honest i have no idea what they cost?
    never saw any that cheap....any i looked at were nearer or over £200
  • ollywood68
    Options
    rjh090384 wrote:
    Hi

i was wondering if anyone has any experience with getting a pattern of bridesmaid dress and having it made by a dressmaker and what the cost was?

i am considering doing this for my bridesmaid who is a size 18-20 as shop prioces are a bit out of my budget.

any advice appreciated

thanks

There's a very nice girl in Abbey Street Bangor who makes wedding dresses and does alterations to them. Jenny Althrop the name (I think thats how it spelt). if you need further details I could post them online, if required.
    happiness is being able to have one more drink
  • kazi_2
    kazi_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    depends where you are looking, and the style you want, I am getting married in 2 weeks and I got my dresses off the peg in debenhams for £90 each, one of my bridesmaids is a size 18-20 and they did right up to 22 in some of their dresses. If you are lucky enough to get them in the bonanza days then you get a good whack off it again. I also got my daughters bridesmaid dress (which is actually a short wedding dress ) in monsoon reduced from £160 to £60 woohoo.

I should say mine are actually formal dresses, but I am having a "proper" wedding dress and they fit in perfectly with it. I would say it may work out just as cheap to buy them off the peg and get them altered if needs be rather than buy them from a wedding shop, you can add a couple of zeros at the end if you buy them in a bridal shop, and I have to say, some of them arnt as nice as what I got.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • travelling_light
    Options
    my very good friend makes wedding and bridesmaid dresses and if you want I can send you details...really talented lovely person....:D
  • callansdad
    Options
    My aunt bought my Bridesmaids dress from Debenhams in a size 18 (im a 20 and it was fine), she was £100 for it and it was a dark red one, looked every bit a BM dress. Had she the sense to order online and try some codes or cashback sites then it would have been cheaper.

I bought BMs dresses for my wedding earlier this from Next's Special Occasions collection. I wanted them to be quite simple as my dress was quite big. They were a dusky pink and flowing, they looked brill and went up to a size 22 (i think). My BMs did need a size bigger than what they were but i thought the dresses were a steal at £69.99. Not sure what kind of dresses Next have this season though.
    A banker is someone who lends you an umbrella when the sun is shining, and who asks for it back when it start to rain.
  • rjh090384
    Options
    yes please travellling light please pm me her details. is she as cheap as i need?

kazi tbh a formal dress is fine. thats what i been looking at. doesnthave to be a proper proper bridesmaid dress?
  • rjh090384
    Options
    thanks i checked next online but nothing i fancied there! want somethign fairly simple not sure of colour until i look at fabric.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport