Beware of Johnsons Dry Cleaners discounts!

Options
I came unstuck with a very unfair and dishonest Dry Cleaning voucher sent to me by Johnsons:

Usual cost to dry clean a coat (£12.25) and a two-piece suit (12.60): £24.85 total

Usual cost with my Priority Club 10% discount: £22.36 total

Cost with a 20% discount voucher emailed to me by Johnsons at Christmas (which staff mistakenly put in as 25%): £22.71 total

So why did I pay more with a 25% discount voucher than I would have with just my usual 10% Priority Club discount? Because they have two pricing policies for suits. Usually a suit is one item, but when discount vouchers are used, suits are entered separately as trousers and jacket, which costs considerably more. In this case, I read the small print, saw that a two-piece suit counts as 2 items and thought that was a good thing as it meant I met the requirements of the offer (minimum 3 items to be dry cleaned). What wasn't mentioned at all was that this made it subject to a different pricing policy.

The issue here is not so much the money, but that Johnsons are getting in customers with offers that are not as good as they first appear - and in this case I paid more for a supposed 25% discount than I would have with a 10% discount. Is this honest and fair marketing? I don't think so.

Comments

• redagila
    redagila Posts: 6,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Our local Johnsons has had an offer on to dryclean a coat for £8 since before Christmas so your "deal" is even worse, even without your Priority club discount.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure