We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Really stupid question - possibly

Hi all

Our fixed mortgage gives the option to overpay 10% each January. First time we've been able to do it and I've got everything in place BUT - who do I make the cheque payable to?!

Mortgage is set up with A&L, which is of course now Santander.

Is that a really dumb question?

Comments

  • I don't think so. If it was me, I'd make it payable to yourself + 'mortgage account' (assuming the mortgage is in your name and put the sortcode and account number on the top of the cheque to avoid any confusion.

    Not saying that's the best/only way. Someone else might have a better idea.

    Well done. I'm starting overpaying next month and quite excited!
  • It's a good question!

    I've always made it payable to myself and wife (as it's a joint mortgage).

    I would give them a quick call and confirm.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Thank you. It does say to put your account number on the back of the cheque but not who to make the cheque payable to. They clearly don't want me to overpay!

    I have been an idiot this morning though because I've just realised I've been calculating 1% not 10%. I thought I could only pay £1,400 but now realise it's £14,000! Can't afford that much, but I'm trying work out how much we can afford to overpay without leaving us without any savings or money to do the house up.
  • easy mistake!
    I've only just taken out a new mortgage, so the idea of paying it off early for me doesn't have the same appeal because it's such a long way away before I see the benefit of a 5 year reduction! I guess any little bit helps though, so all the best!
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,727 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Try and leave yourself at least 3 months of income in cash ISA,s as an emergency fund unless you are paying a very high interest rate and can get back any overpayments!
  • foxblade
    foxblade Posts: 81 Forumite
    Can you not do the OP with your current account? We OP monthly with the same account as our normal mortgage bill goes out and because we use a standing order we can just put our account number in the ref, I feel it's more secure than a check, as I know that they can check against the ref and the account. If we don't have the money we reduce the SO to £1 so it isn't to much hassle.

    Under-stable though if you don't have an Internet account.

    :)
  • flimsier
    flimsier Posts: 799 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi all

    Our fixed mortgage gives the option to overpay 10% each January. First time we've been able to do it and I've got everything in place BUT - who do I make the cheque payable to?!

    Mortgage is set up with A&L, which is of course now Santander.

    Is that a really dumb question?

    Mine is Santander as well. I can overpay over the year by up to 10%. I paid £5000 this December and have set it up to overpay by £120 per month on the phone.

    I went into a branch and they said make it payable to yourself and I gave it to them.

    you can also ring them and they'll give you an account number and reference to do a transfer.
    Can we just take it as read I didn't mean to offend you?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.