We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Is it worth overpaying?

My morgage is very high in interest, like 9%:eek: So will adding the odd bit extra save me much?

Also, I'm out of work so I cant remorgage as I wouldnt have wage slips etc to show. Should I be able to switch to another product with the same bank at a lower interest rate?

If I make overpayments and its a repayment morgage will the overpayment go straight to reducing the amount borrowed?

Comments

  • Andreg
    Andreg Posts: 188 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thats a terrible rate! Who is your mortgage company?

    and, if you dont mind, how much is your mortgage and how much is the property worth?
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    My morgage is very high in interest, like 9%:eek: So will adding the odd bit extra save me much?
    Overpaying is more effective, the higher the interest rate.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • One way of looking at it is that if you have spare cash to invest, you are currently unlikely to find a 9 % return on any deposit, so overpaying is the best return on investment.

    Also, when the interest rate goes up, you are reducing a bit of the pain in the future by overpaying now as the increased rate will be applied to a lesser amount of capital.

    Check with the mortgage company that the overpayment can immediately be deducted from the capital with the interest recalculated from that date to get the full benefit.

    Check that there are no penalties for overpaying.
    Keep calm and carry on
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 5,053 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    In my case an OP of just over 1 month's payment would take 3 months off the length of my mortgage. That sort of saving is a benefit regardless of your rate. In practice you might save even more as your rate is higher.

    Hope this example is of some help.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • LilacPixie
    LilacPixie Posts: 8,052 Forumite
    the higher the interest rate the more effective each overpayment it, no matter how small. Assuming you can overpay without penalty.
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • 9%?! Wow. As Andreg said who is the company and how long are you locked into the deal with them for? Overpaying will make a huge difference to you if you can overpay with such high interest rates.
    All the best
    Feb 2012 - onwards MF achieved
    September 2016 - Back into clearing a mortgage - Was due to be paid off in 32 years in March 2047 -
    April 2018 down to 28.00 months vs 30.04 months at normal payment.
    Predicted mortgage clearing 03/2047 - now looking at 02/2045

    Aims: 1) To pay off mortgage within 20 years - 2037
  • black_taxi_2
    black_taxi_2 Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    9%:eek:

    even !!!!!! turpin wore a mask
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • RosieTiger
    RosieTiger Posts: 863 Forumite
    As said already above, you will struggle to find anything that is going to pay you at that rate for savings so anything you over pay must be better than the alternative.
    But you need to take a serious look ay why your paying at that rate
    RosieTiger - Highest £242,000 Feb 2004 :mad:
    Lightbulb Dec 2008 £146,000 by March 2026:eek:
    MFi3T2 and T3 No 28 - Dec 2009 Start Balance £117,000
    Current Position-Fully off set by savings since March 2013
  • 2011_will_be_debt_free
    2011_will_be_debt_free Posts: 93 Forumite
    edited 2 January 2011 at 10:56PM
    Its Bank Of Scotland and the fixed rate runs out in June or July. I had little choice at the time as I was self-employed...the balance/capital is about 48 or 49,000. It's costing over £335. a month on normal repayments.

    As I say, Im not working now so if the rate goes up after the fixed term, I'm done for. Can I switch to a better offer with them, since I'm already with them? They have a 'existing Halifax customer coming to end, switch to new deal...' but I'm not sure it will work as I'm Bank Of Scotland. Even though they are HBOS now, I think they keep some stuff seperate.

    I looked out my Morgage offer and it seems I can make overpayments but I might go in and ask in a branch to be sure as the usual 'we can change this..' small print. Thanks for your reply's I'm really worried and I'm going to be trying my best to get work but I would still appreciate you advice on this please.

    Edit; wow, Iv just been on the site and if the interest stays as it is at the moment it will be going DOWN from what it is! Which means what I'm paying now will be an overpayment? plus whatever else I can when I get a new job.. Bank of Scotland Home Loan Rate, which is currently 4.84%

    I'm no longer self-employed so although this one is a self-cert, I'm not sure if that means I can switch to other products i.e. don't want self cert as its not the best deal but not working now (hopefully will be by then), seems they have one that works out about 5% APR fixed for two years that I can apply to switch to as this deal comes to an end.

    Again, anyone that knows about this stuff, I really would appreciate some help - I'm determined to sort myself out this year and including getting rid of debt and trying to get my morgage down, plus a new job...
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.