PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying Fabrics

Hello,
I want to make my children some bean bags (the type you sit on, not the type you throw!) which fit in with our decoration. I am struggling to find heavy fabrics suitable for the job at a price I consider reasonable - even using ebay fabric shops, it would cost me considerably more to make than purchase readymade.

Am looking for denim or cotton drill and am in Lancashire with a car and prepared to travel if the price is right (although bearing in mind, that might make it the same price as if I'd bought on ebay!)

Any ideas where I might get something for less than £3 a metre?

Comments

• whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Have you tried https://www.abakhan.co.uk I have heard great things about them.

Or markets, I've seen fabric stalls at most of them, Blackburn..Bury..Bolton.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • MUM40
    MUM40 Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    if you can get to abakan, they often have material that you can buy in weight rather than metres.
    only been to the ones in mostyn and liverpool, but prefer the mostyn one
    No. 83 in £365.00 in 365 days 17/365
    Jan lunch to work days 10/20
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    what about buying curtains from a charity shop and making them out of that? What are you filling them with and where did you get the pattern (if you don't mind me asking)? I've thought myself about making one.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • clearingout
    clearingout Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    thanks for that - have looked at abakhan and there's one quite close so will check it out -have to say though, prices comparable with ebay. Markets - no, to be fair, hadn't thought of that so will have a look at the most local ones but can't think of any stalls...although there are proably better markets in the region so may have to travel. Any other ideas?
  • unixgirluk wrote: »
    what about buying curtains from a charity shop and making them out of that? What are you filling them with and where did you get the pattern (if you don't mind me asking)? I've thought myself about making one.

Or on a similar tack, can you make them out of charity shop (ie jeans/denim etc) finds in a sort of patchwork (but not necessarily regular shaped pieces) - don't know how this would fit with your decor though :question:

AA
  • vivw_2
    vivw_2 Posts: 2,230 Forumite
    I use this company :
    http://www.chawlas.com/

Delivery is quick and quality good
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

• clearingout
    Pattern - there are tons of them online for free - google 'beanbag pattern' and you'll get any number of them. I am going to use this one: http://www.sewing.org/html/beanbag.html

I think Simplicty patterns also do one if that's of any use. Oh, and Kirsty Allsop did one on her Channel 4 programme so I assume there might be a pattern lurking somewhere on their website?
  • clearingout
    Oh and filling them - using the filling in the knackered beanbags we all ready have!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure