PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New years eve menu ideas?

Options
Hi we have a few friends round for nye and we are cooking the main course and dessert. I think I am going to make a selection of mini desserts or nigellas girdlebuster pie. Can't decide on the main, we have chicken breasts, diced beef, mince in the freezer. One of the guests cannot eat fish so thats out. They often come round for Sunday lunch so want to avoid a roast. We make a good beef bourginione but fancied doing something different any suggestions.

Comments

• angelavdavis
    Options
    Chicken breasts stuffed with garlic cream cheese and wrapped in pancetta? I do this often as it can be prepared well in advance and takes only 15 mins or so to cook through. I skewer it with a cocktail stick to hold it together which I remove just before serving.

I serve with baby potatoes and greens.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • little_h_2
    Options
    hi! just a quick note on the girdlebuster pie - i did this for my mum and dad on christmas day. it was v nice but the coffee ice cream cost a fortune (couldn't find a nice cheap variety so had a to buy an expensive one, 2 pots to boot!)

it is very nice but very, very sweet, but i ended up throwing most of it away as there was just far too much of it for 3 of us, which really hurt! if you aren't doing it for a big party, maybe think about something else!

i can recommend nigella's chocolate cherry muffins - an absolute doddle to do and always a hit for after dinner at my house! or with a cup of tea. or for breakfast. or just because :D
  • archiesdad
    Options
    little_h wrote: »
    hi! just a quick note on the girdlebuster pie - i did this for my mum and dad on christmas day. it was v nice but the coffee ice cream cost a fortune (couldn't find a nice cheap variety so had a to buy an expensive one, 2 pots to boot!)

it is very nice but very, very sweet, but i ended up throwing most of it away as there was just far too much of it for 3 of us, which really hurt! if you aren't doing it for a big party, maybe think about something else!

i can recommend nigella's chocolate cherry muffins - an absolute doddle to do and always a hit for after dinner at my house! or with a cup of tea. or for breakfast. or just because :D

Thanks may try something else, i bought a couple of tubs of hagen daaz on offer a while ago in preparation was gonna use pralines and cream and make smaller individual ones.
  • itsallinthemind
    Options
    Chicken breasts stuffed with garlic cream cheese and wrapped in pancetta? I do this often as it can be prepared well in advance and takes only 15 mins or so to cook through. I skewer it with a cocktail stick to hold it together which I remove just before serving.

I serve with baby potatoes and greens.

Yep do this :j

Gorgeous food, not scary for anyone, simple to prepare, to cook with guests and no pans that need scrubbing too much! Perfect dinner party food!

If you do not like that as the stuffing, fill with small chopped roasted veggies and cheese?

Or do the wrapped chicken with a side of roasted vegetable cous cous?

Keep NYE food simple so you can enjoy it and leave room for dessert :D
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    archiesdad wrote: »
    We make a good beef bourginione but fancied doing something different any suggestions.

We made a filo pastry pie this week - filled with spinach and feta cheese. It looked really impressive and was very easy :)

Alternatively, lasagne, salad and garlic bread always goes down well.

There's lots more ideas for you in this thread; I'll merge this later to keep ideas together.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    We're having Nigella's green lentils with italian sausages (traditional Italian NYE dish). Dessert will be hubby's speciality - tiramisu.

Also thought about slow cooked belly pork with parsnip mash, or cassoulet, or chicken breasts stuffed with haggis with drambuie cream sauce....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure