Experian/Equifiax- HELP!!!

Hello everyone,
I am a newby to the site, and hope i am posting this in the right place!

I need some help/input asap..

I have recently been refused credit and this prompted me to get a copy of my credit file from both experian and equifax. To my shock i have a lot of linked addresses (which i have had never lived in or even heard of) and also two defaulted accounts relating to the linked addresses.

I contacted both the agencies concerned and asked them to investigate these urgently. Equifax finally got back to me today only to say i need to take it up with the companies which logged the defaults and then linked me to the addresses...

I am very confused by all this.. how can they legally link me to addresses i have no link to, and also how can accounts that have nothing to do with me appear on my files? surely this must be illegal? they are basically telling anyone that does a credit check inaccurate info.. I want to clear my name and file!

I dont want to end up making matters worse by saying something i shouldnt to them. What is the best way to approach this and get it sorted?

The two companies are hardly likely to just take me word for it, how do i prove it isnt me?

If anyone has been in such a position and has managed to resolve please help!!

Many thanks
Mikeyboy

Comments

• Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    The credit reference agencies basically only provide a central database and security model for access. Their role is not initial validation of the data held. The reports should state which company has loaded the defaults and therefore your initial port of call should be to contact these companies to establish how it has been linked to you.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Mint1955
    Mint1955 Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I was in the same position as you when trying to up my mortgage. Firstly dont panic it takes time. Write and keep copies to all the companies that you have problems with and ask them to send you full details as you dispute their records. Work through each one systematically looking for any links with people or places that may be familier. Experian do have help lines for when you get to the stage of having anything to report and they will help you clear your account. For each of the addresses again request details look at the dates you are supposed to have been there and again if they are linked with companies then ask for clarificatiom. Main thing is to keep a log of all correspondance etc
    Let us know how you get on.
    Sheila
    Living the dream and retired in Cyprus :j

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105296
  • kirstyme
    kirstyme Posts: 18 Forumite
    Hiya!

Ive just been through the exact same problem as yourself!

Refused credit for a new car, so got my credit report! My equifax credit report showed I had a frad rating placed by a company! When I contacted them they said I hadnt supplied all my addresses! So I got another credit report from experian and found a list of 13 linked addresses with defaults that are nothing to do with me!!

I contacted experian and they have been great! A note was placed on my record saying I disputed the details, all companies who have searched my record were also contacted! While they investigated!!

Got back to me this week, saying the 1st company that linked my details has authorised it to be removed and so have all the others as they were only linked through it!! So I defo recommending contacting experian!!

I know how stressed you must be by it all, I cried for days and had no idea how to clear up someone elses mess!!
  • my wife had the same problem we got the police involved cos we could prove we didnt open the account they gave us a crime ref number, we then contacted the companies responsible and there attitude changed when they new the police were involved. we now have the companies taken off our credit report.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello everyone and thanks for your postings.

I am really down about this. I have today receieved a letter from one of the companies who placed a default onto my file, relating to the address i know nothing about. i will give you a few quotes from the letter

"Having reviewed all the information available to us we have concluded that we are unable to uphold your complaint"

"We have since been relying on information recieved regarding your wherabouts to contact you and unfortunetly it appears that our information was not up to date."

"all the information provided to the credit reference agencies has been accurate and will remain on file for a period of 6 years"

I am really concerned here, i am completely unconnected with this, no nothing of the address or the finance company. The amount they say owed is over £14k!!!

where do i go from here? do i need a solicitor?

Experian are saying that they cannot change my credit file until /if the compnay concerned authorises it to do so..

In this situation who has to prove the liability? the company has just wolloped this defualt onto my file without the facts.. experian won't do anything nor will equifax without the said companies say so. Surely its not fair!

Do they need to prove liabilibilty for the debt?? How do i go about clearing my name?

The company have enclosed the finance docs, but they still cast no light onto anything, the signature isnt mine!

Please please help! i am really worried about this. I have just bought my first home and am worried it's all at risk.

Are they just bullying me into a corner? The letter is two pages long and is so strongly worded.. they are saying its me and it really isnt!

Please help, i dont know what to do next.

Thanks
    Mikey
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If the signatures do not match then go straight to the police and report it as fraud. Tell the police you have queried this with the company concerned and they believe it to be you. You need to do this ASAP.
    If it a case of mistaken identity the police should find it out pretty quickly.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income