Toothpaste Advice

Options
Recently I have taken to using Boots Basics toothpaste - 29p per tube (and sometimes 3 for the price of 2).

However I read Toothsmith's response to cheap toothbrushes (ie don't use them, get a decent one) and wondered what the opinion was on the Basics Toothpaste.

I particularly mean the Boots brand, as that appears to have reasonable ingredients over most value brands - e.g. no parabens and has bicarbonate of soda - bicarb toothpaste costs a fortune elsewhere.

Thoughts please.

Comments

• freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have spoken to my dentist before about this and he said that you could use anything as they all basically contain fluoride :)

Apparently, it's all down to personal preference :)
  • Tight_Git_3
    Options
    I used to use basic toothpaste and a cheapo toothbrush, but after playing around with those tablets that turn plaqe red, I now use a Braun Oral B electric toothbrush and Colgate Total.
    I found a noticible difference in how clean my teeth were.

My dentist reckons that basic toothpaste is ok, but you get what you pay for and as you only get one set of adult teeth.....
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    So long as it's not too abrasive, and not many toothpastes are nowadays (apart from 'smokers' toothpastes), anything within reason should do the job.

Fluoride containing is best, and some of the triclosan type antibacterials are good too.

Other than that, it's really just there to taste nice and make your mouth 'feel' clean.

Brushing technique and brush type is far more important than the 'soap' you use.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote:
    Fluoride containing is best, and some of the triclosan type antibacterials are good too.

FWIW Aldi do a toothpaste containing both of the above which is pretty cheap.
    Stompa
  • Gaia
    Gaia Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Last time I went to the dentist he kept asking me if I had seen a hygeinist because my teeth were so healthy and clean! I use a Lidl toothbrush and the bog standard, cheapo Tesco toothpaste (because that's where they are cheapest respectively!).
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." Anon.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The damage done by cheap toothbrushes is very slow to appear, and very gradual in it's onset.

Good toothbrushes have the ends of their filaments treated so trhat they are nice and round and smooth.

Cheaper toothbrushes do not benefit from this, and look really nasty under a microscope.

The effect of this scratching, over the years, is to wear away at the tooth structure, and damage the very delicate structure of the gums up where tooth and gum meet.

This isn't anything really dramatic, like causing teeth to fall out, but a tooth brushed with a nice toothbrush will look better when your older than one scrubbed with a cheaper one.

If you can afford the extra £1-2 for a decent toothbrush, it's better in the long run!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • barginunter
    barginunter Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    Options
    I think most toothpaste is ok - the really important thing to do is flossing. Your teeth make be Ok but if the gums are not....
  • David_B_2
    David_B_2 Posts: 718 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a colegate fan and belive that a good taste and toothbrush are a must.

Toothbrushes in Morrisons seem to be on BOGOF offers every other week and the toothpaste I stocked up on when that was the same. There is no need to buy cheep stuff and you need to look after your teeth.

PS: I'm not against own brandings as I do buy plenty of these but just not toothpaste or shampoo for that matter.
    Regards,
    Dave

If only I had a pound for every time I used the thanks button :D
  • Lungman
    Lungman Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Toothsmith - whats your take on the electric toothbrushes?

I currently use a sonicare elite and wondered if it is too "agressive" for the area where tooth and gums meet.
  • Justie
    Justie Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Options
    Lungman wrote:
    Toothsmith - whats your take on the electric toothbrushes?

I currently use a sonicare elite and wondered if it is too "agressive" for the area where tooth and gums meet.
    not an expert but as far as I understand it whilst electric tootbrushes are much better at cleaning than manual it's still possible to damage the gums but mostly by pressing too hard with the brush head just as vigorous manual brushing can damage the gums. If you keep the pressure light then there should be no more damage from an electric toothbrush than from careful manual brushing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure