PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to work out quantities for a buffet?

Options
Hi, can anybody help. How do you work out the right amount of food for a buffet so people are nice and full but loads isn't wasted either?

I am doing one for 10 people.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I am making:

Stuffed jackets
HM Chicken goujons
Hot beef and gravy
Bread rolls
Cheese board and crackers
Crisps and dips
Cake or fruit for afters

xxxxxx

Comments

• mummyroysof3
    Options
    i usually start by thinking what i would have on my plate and work from there really, ive only ever done parties for the kids and family at birthdays so thats prob not much help
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • Kitchenbunny
    Options
    Hi, not sure if this will help. I've used it a couple of times and found I had plenty of food to go around.

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/party_portions

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    dragonlily wrote: »
    Hi, can anybody help. How do you work out the right amount of food for a buffet so people are nice and full but loads isn't wasted either?

I am doing one for 10 people.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I am making:

Stuffed jackets
    HM Chicken goujons
    Hot beef and gravy
    Bread rolls
    Cheese board and crackers
    Crisps and dips
    Cake or fruit for afters

xxxxxx

I would do:

7 jackets as most will only have half
    Goujons x 20 (min as everyone loves these)
    Beef joint cooked then sliced and use stock for gravy (any left freeze)
    Rolls x 15
    Good chunks of Brie, Cheddar, Stilton (simple choice)
    Grapes & Crackers
    Crisps & Nuts(whatever you want)
    Maderia Cake sliced
    Fruitcake sliced

Is anyone bringing anything? 10 people isnt too bad.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • itsallinthemind
    Options
    Agree with PP, Except I'd probably just pop a dozen JP's in the oven, any left over-freeze or fridge for lunches :)

If handled correctly, anything left will not be waste, but makings of meals for you :)

That said, i'd be inclined to swap the beef in gravy for chilli con carne as it is cheaper, can be bulked with kidney beans, oats, lentils, carrots onion etc. Tastes great in JP's, bit of cheese on top, seperate bowl of grated cheese for those who fancy that instead. Also, it is less effort to eat, so people can chat easier in my view.
  • dragonlily
    Options
    Thanks that is a really big help. In the end I did very similar to what you suggested Penny Pincher but did extra jackets and some small pies and HM sausage rolls. A relative brought a christmas cake, mince tarts and apple pie :). Turned out to be a good thing as we ended up with 16 people to feed not 10!

It was just about perfect, everybody had loads and we only had a small amount of leftovers, which are being ate today.

Itsallinthemind, thanks for raising chilli. Too late to move from the joint as already bought in this case but will be having a small get together early next year and can do that then :)

xxx
  • dizzybuff
    dizzybuff Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    Options
    On an extra note , I tend to do the chilli in the slow cooker if I do a party ( all cooked and on warm for the night) . This will be the same for new year , we will have 2 slow cookers one with chilli and one with chicken curry ( on the bone) in . Jackets in the oven on low wrapped in foil and rice in the rice cooker donated for the occasion by a freind. Left overs will be dished into little trays and distributed to the older people on the street and a few relatives. The more people you are catering for the easier it is. Personally I love doing Hot food as my slow cooker is always easier . Then I just decide what we are having with it :)
    ONE HOUSE , DS+ DD Missymoo Living a day at a time and getting through this mess you have created.
    One day life will have no choice but to be nice to me :rotfl:
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Kitcaboodle
    Kitcaboodle Posts: 157 Forumite
    edited 30 December 2010 at 10:49PM
    Options
    We did our own wedding buffet and had an amazing spread for around £3 a head. We had loads more than we needed though & took home four boxes of stuff while leaving another four for the venue owners who were celebrating an anniversary the next day!

With the benefit of hindsight (and without the influence of a husband who insists that we should have a lot of salad), I would concentrate on buying stuff that will last at least a few weeks and that comes in packs. Then you can just open another pack as you run low and take home what you don't eat there & then and eat it some other time.

Do not do what we did and buy six iceberg lettuces.... six! So much salad stuff went off with my friend for her rabbits! People eat lots of crisps, sausage rolls and pizza. They also love home-made biscuits.

Lidl is worth a visit as you can get impressive looking jars of pickles for not that much & they will last if they don't get eaten.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure