Noise levels.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
8 replies 1K views
BigAndy_79BigAndy_79 Forumite
569 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Hi Guys,

I live in a flat/appartment and enjoy watching television in the evenings. The person living next door, however, likes to play his tv at what seems like a rather loud level. I get annoyed by this, but my girlfriend says it is all part and parcel of living in this type of residence.
Do you agree with her statement, or do you think that you should be able to live without barely being able to hear the neighbour's tv ? Hearing this loud 'buzz-like' sound from their tv annoys me too much at times :( Thoughts...?

Replies

• I completely sympathise, I have always felt that building regulations here do not make sufficient provision for soundproofing. As a result I feel that we all have to put up with too much noise pollution from our neighbours.
    Having said that they also have to put up with our noise. My neighbour is like a mouse, the only thing that I hear is the creaking of her stairs as she goes to bed at night. I am always aware that if I can hear such a tiny bit of noise from her, then what does she have to put up with from me! We're just a regular couple but our TV and conversations must carry into her house and be intrusive. It's not really our fault, we're not 'loud', but walls are paper thin.
    I must agree with your girlfriend, since it is acceptable to build homes with such unacceptable sound proofing then we all must live with it!
  • donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I lived above over the years two pensioners both hard of hearing. Mrs. Blair you could turn the volume on my TV off and still watch a programme with the sound from her's. But on the other hand I could pump up the volume when listing to music.

Mr. Wilson used to watch TV in bed at night until around 3am, he was also hard of hearing. Truth after a while I just got used to it and could sleep without problem. He used to watch Stargate in the early hours.:D
  • may be just a case of live and let live,however next door may not realise the noise hes causing so why not have a friendly word and see?If hes the type who doesnt care then wait till he turns off his T.V.no matter what time and put your stereo up tight against the wall where noise is coming from cover stereo with blankets so sound all goes toward wall and crank up volume.think a few early mornings of this will have the desired effect.
    counting down the time I got left.:beer::beer:
  • something about two wrongs springs to mind...
  • I think its a case of live and let live.

I live in an upper flat and the woman downstairs from me has complained to me because she can hear me walking about in my flat. I dont have wooden floors as being an upper flat im not allowed, and I wear slippers most of the time so I really don't know what she expects me to do - fly from room to room? I also have a wee boy and she can hardly expect me to strap him to a chair all day.

The people upstairs from me have 2 kids that run about constantly and are quite noisy but I wouldnt dream of complaining to them, its part and parcel of living in a flat. Its not their fault the sound proofing is rubbish.
    'If honour were profitable, every man would be honourable' Thomas More

'I should only ever tell the king what he ought to do, not what he could do; for if the lion knows his own strength, no man could control him.'
  • Mids_CostcutterMids_Costcutter Forumite
    836 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I must agree with your girlfriend, since it is acceptable to build homes with such unacceptable sound proofing then we all must live with it!

To whom are the building regulations acceptable? The building industry or the people who live in the properties?

There are measures that can be taken to soundproof floors, ceilings and party walls. We had a stud wall built onto a party wall in our old terrace house with solid walls and it's really improved soundproofing. I realise that the situation is different if you're renting, but I'd suggest that a start would be to get a good builder around to assess before approaching your landlord.
  • tara747tara747 Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mids_Costcutter - sadly, building regs seem to suit builders rather than those who have to live in their shoddily built shoeboxes.
    I think its a case of live and let live.

I live in an upper flat and the woman downstairs from me has complained to me because she can hear me walking about in my flat. I dont have wooden floors as being an upper flat im not allowed, and I wear slippers most of the time so I really don't know what she expects me to do - fly from room to room? I also have a wee boy and she can hardly expect me to strap him to a chair all day.

The people upstairs from me have 2 kids that run about constantly and are quite noisy but I wouldnt dream of complaining to them, its part and parcel of living in a flat. Its not their fault the sound proofing is rubbish.

*makes mental note never to live in a flat*
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • I really don't know what she expects me to do - fly from room to room?

I had a laugh at that !! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides