Strange Lights over West of Edinburgh

Not sure where to post this message but was at my brother's house last night (he lives in Ratho) and he told me he was fascinated for about half an hour watching 3 coloured lights chasing after each other in the skies around his part of town. I've tried contacting The Scotsman but they have no information, the Royal Observatory is currently closed until 5th January. He doesn't think it was a meteor shower or aeroplanes (because he saw planes coming in to land during the time he was watching, seemingly unaffected by it all). Did anyone else witness this event, I think he said it was a few nights ago, so around Chrismtas Eve or Christmas night? He swears he wasn't drinking!

Comments

• Chinese lanterns.
    EX POSTIE.
  • Chinese lanterns.

Hi, we saw the chinese lanterns too when walking home on Christmas night but bro said these were definitely not the same type of light as they were coloured and followed each other in patterns back & forth. How strange.
  • Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    I'm in leith and last night about 7pm there were three lights in the sky, there was no beam of light from the ground like there was last week ( from the castle ) just three white lights chasing each other and darting away, it only lasted a few mins but was totally weird.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    They're chinese lanterns.
    I saw strange lights in the sky on New Year's Eve and thought perhaps the martians had landed :eek: but turns out they were the new 'in' thing / must have self propelled chinese lanterns.

See them on YouTube
  • kriss_boy
    kriss_boy Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    A night club in my town have a sorta LED strobe thing that fires their logo onto the side of their building. It often darts around and ends up pointing into the sky!

The nature of the light is such that it probably only becomes visibly when it hits clouds or something.... so it looks weird when you look up in the sky and see the lights... but its just the strobe from the nightclub!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure