Faulty cash machine

Options
I withdrew £100 from my local cash machine although it was faulty and left a red dye on the notes. I took it into the shop that it belonged to and they phoned the bank. The bank then said they could not replace the banknotes and it would be replaced by my own bank. I took it to my bank and they said it was not thier responsibilty - its the bank that looks after the cash machines fault. I called them and they said it wasnt thier fault and I need to contact Link as they look after the machine. They then said it was the banks fault. Finally got an email back saying they will replace them but I have to post them to their head office. I said I was not happy about this as I will not have any proof or a reciept if they go missing. All they could say was if you want your money then you will have to simple as that. Is there any way I can lodge an offical complaint as this is not my fault and I have go through the hassle of sorting it all out.

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    How severe is the dye?
    Best bet if you can't spend them is to put them in with a credit slip in a depositpoint or automated till and wait for the credit to go through.
  • orlwaysbroke
    Options
    I'm with the Nationwide - they have automatic deposit slots in some of their cashpoints.
  • ohmsoft
    ohmsoft Posts: 280 Forumite
    Options
    The above seems a reasonable solution - pop it into the automatic slot.

Officially damaged bank notes need to be posted to the bank of england who assess and replace.

With regard to an official complaint - yes - if you've incurred out of pocket expense due to the banks error write to their complaints department and let them know....

hth
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport