New jobs - key phrase definition

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking for a new job and have found one I like the sound of but part of the job description states:

"You will have relevant experience in account management"

Can anyone who does "account management" tell me what it involves because to me it is a very broad term which could be covered by many things but I would like clarification if anyone knows...

Cheers

M

Comments

• Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    It would help if we knew what the job was it can be a relationship management type role - you are a customers point of contact and you have to make sure they are happy/ sell them more products/ services or it could be more financial in nature ensuring accounts/ statements balance and match up etc
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • squashy
    squashy Posts: 951 Forumite
    Chances are, this will be one of the criteria they mark the application forms and interviewees on. However, don't be put off. If you can demonstrate that you have the ability to do what they want you to do, you'll be fine. This is coming from someone who was a stay-at-home parent for 4 years but used loads of my experiences running the home to secure an admin and finance role. Do you have a current account which you pay bills to regular suppliers from? Then you have account management experience. Good luck!
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Account management is a big part of my job, is it a sales role? PM if you want some specific advice...
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    No its not Sales (or I hope not anyway, I would hate sales!!!)

The job title is Customer Administration Support Manager.

So I guess its like ts_aly2000 says, supporting the customer from initial consultation and installation up to and including after sales support.....

Anyone agree or disagree?!?!

Cheers for the help guys....

M
  • L_D_N
    L_D_N Posts: 83 Forumite
    Anything with Account Management in it's description is going to include sales - trust me. If you are looking after a customer you would be expected to at least maintain the current level of sales, but what company would settle for that?

You could always try calling ahead for more information or go along anyway and use it as a chance to try out your interview skills if it turns out to be sales.

Good luck!
  • L_D_N
    L_D_N Posts: 83 Forumite
    Anything with Account Management in it's description is going to include sales - trust me. If you are looking after a customer you would be expected to at least maintain the current level of sales, but what company would settle for that?

You could always try calling ahead for more information or go along anyway and use it as a chance to try out your interview skills if it turns out to be sales.

Good luck!
  • Astaroth
    I would agree that for anything "customer" with account manager is going to involve sales though as "support" it is probably more up and cross selling with existing customers whilst doing what ever the customer has asked for rather than the more direct new business selling etc.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks guys, have just had the job spec e-mailed through so its cleared things up a bit.

Not sure whether to bother applying for it or not now.

I'm currently earning £20k and spending about £25 a week on petrol getting there and back.

I was looking at getting a job nearer to where I live but there never seems to be much and then this job came up which sounded to fit the skills etc that I have.

Only problem is this other job is 2 1/2 times further away (about 50 miles) down the motor way which is apparently 50 minutes but I know this motorway is always VERY busy at peak times.

This new job is £30k though with a company car. Question is, does the extra £10 and car mean its worth the extra 60 miles each day plus all the extra time and responsibility.

Do you automatically get your petrol paid by the company if you get a company car? If not then thats another cost that will shoot up.

In the past I have worked out that working 20 miles away for £20k is *about* equivalent to working for £16.5k and walking to work (assuming I could live without a car)......

Decisions, decisions...........

I feel like i'm stuck in a rut in my current job and have been looking for another one for ages but I don't seem to have the skills / experience for anything I want to do, but now I don't want to get so desperate that I rush into any old job because it looks like a big wage and good benefits if I end up hating it after a couple of weeks, because the mortgage still has to be paid....

Sorry everyone....

M
  • Astaroth
    Personally I would also be looking at the long term prospects of the job especially if you feel you are in a rut now.

With my employers you do not get fuel for going to the office at which you are based but can claim it back for any trips to other offices/ clients etc. With ours though it is a standard rate per mile depending on the engine capacity - some other companies will give you a fuel card and you just buy it on that. Our exception is for a hire car where you simply claim the cost of petrol back using the receipt from the pump.

Remember that if it is a company car you have to pay benefits in kind tax on the vehicle and also get a fairly low rate of repayment on the fuel - you can still get a good deal with a company car as long as you choose one with very good fuel efficiency, low emissions and in some aspects an engine over 2.1L... if you chose the wrong car they can be a massive liability.

What sort of work would you like to be doing? What sort of work experience do you have?
  • It's always worth applying to jobs and going to the interviews (unless you really genuinely can't make time to write the application).

At the interview, ask them where they envisage the job being based. It may be, if there's a lot of customer support involved, that you will be based from home and travelling (with your petrol paid in the company car) a lot of the time. If it's based at their office you still need to know how often they would expect you to be in the office and how often they would expect you to be travelling. The fact they are providing a car suggests to me they expect you to be out quite a lot.

Only then can you start doing sums about how much the job is actually worth to you. In the mean time you have had practice in writing an application (when you've done a few you will be able to do quite a lot of cut and pasting :p ), doing an interview (with any luck) - and you'll have learnt about things like what account management is! :T
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure