'The MSE Christmas Pub Quiz – ANSWERS!' blog discussion

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• clairus99
    Options
    okee dokee

:money:
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Round 1.
    Q1. 7 (unclean?)
    Q2. 10 Downing Street. He swapped houses with Gordon Brown as he needed the larger one due to family size. But they swapped the numbers over, too.
    Q3. 354 (change of calendars)
    Q4. Orange
    Q5. 98 years?
    Q6. Giant hands
    Q7. 80?
    Q8. 169
    Q9. Temugin?
    Q10. No (though never heard of it)

Round 2.
    Q1. Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Attila the Hun, Charlemagne, Napoleon.
    Q2. 96 (x=8, g=2, others=1 each; x on double letter(?); double word for centre square; plus 50 for all tiles)
    Q3. £175 (property price = £350, mortgage value is 50%, I don't _think_ you pay extra to unmortgage it)
    Q4. No (guess, based on hooves)
    Q5. LE
    Q6. March 1998?
    Q7. 11

Picture round
    1. Prunella Scales?
    3. Shelia Hancock
    7. Mary (Jesus' mum)
    9. Clive Anderson?
    10. The Elephant Man
    Odd one out: 7 - Mary
    Why? The others were all virgins, whereas Mary wasn't (eventually)

[Am hoping for about 8 points.]
    I believe I got 18.
    But I still think I'm right about them swapping over the Downing Street numbers, so I'm claiming 19!
  • chardir
    chardir Posts: 229 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Q1 should be either 2 or 14 (depending on whether sheep are clean or unclean), it can't be 7. Genesis 7:2 "Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate"
  • ggugvrunt
    Options
    I agree with chardir above about the sheep. The Elephant Man's real name was Joseph, not John - the film got it wrong!
  • pqrdef
    pqrdef Posts: 4,552 Forumite
    Options
    chardir wrote: »
    Q1 should be either 2 or 14 (depending on whether sheep are clean or unclean), it can't be 7. Genesis 7:2 "Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate"
    Not an accurate translation of the Hebrew. Aimed at modern readers who are familiar with the two-by-two image, but not familiar with sheep. The ancients knew sheep and would never have believed that Noah would take 7 rams to service 7 ewes.
    "It will take, five, 10, 15 years to get back to where we need to be. But it's no longer the individual banks that are in the wrong, it's the banking industry as a whole." - Steven Cooper, head of personal and business banking at Barclays, talking to Martin Lewis
  • JohalaReewi
    Options
    Q3 what sort of an answer is that?
    Q4 didn't specify it was was light or pigments that were being mixed.
  • itsakindofmajik
    Options
    What happened to Iggy Pop? He is my odd one out, every time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure