Present for the in-laws - suggestions?

Options
Hey all

I've been with my bf for almost two years and his parents are coming up to see us in December for their annual Christmas shop, so I need to start thinking about what to get them.

Last year I gave them a picture frame containing three pics of him and one of the two of us in Paris. I thought this was quite inspired even if I do say so myself because my bf usually doesn't like having his pic taken and his mum's always complaining that she doesn't have any nice pics of him. It was also very MSE as the frame didn't cost much and neither did printing out the pics. In fact I am going to do a similar thing this year for my mum's friend as we went to Wimbledon together this summer.

This year I am not sure what to get. I'd like to give them something personal that they can keep rather than something like bath stuff. I'm thinking kitchen or gardening gadgets maybe??

I spose the trouble is that although I have met them a few times and feel completely at ease with them, I don't really know them very well and what they like. My bf isn't much help because he usually just gives them a cheque for Crimbo, birthdays and anniversaries!!!

Any ideas? Obv I don't want to go overboard with the spending, but I'll pay the going rate for something if it's suitable. I'm open to the idea of making something myself, too, but haven't a clue what...

Suze
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• jaymac_2
    jaymac_2 Posts: 1,740 Forumite
    Options
    I once made up a hamper for my in laws - they were NOT impressed. They were happier when I made them stockings and put all sorts of little things in them.
  • Suzey
    Suzey Posts: 2,715 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blimey, that was a bit ungrateful of them! What did you put in the hamper?

Suze

jaymac wrote:
    I once made up a hamper for my in laws - they were NOT impressed. They were happier when I made them stockings and put all sorts of little things in them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • samcantcope
    Options
    I am doing calenders for all the family this year, I am doing them with pictures of my kids, but you could do them with your own piccies. they cost between 9.99 and 14.99 (https://www.createagift.co.uk). I havent access to a printer so I am ordering them online.

sam
  • Suzey
    Options
    That's a good idea - I can get one for his nan too! I need to take more pictures of him now... hehee...

Suze

I am doing calenders for all the family this year, I am doing them with pictures of my kids, but you could do them with your own piccies. they cost between 9.99 and 14.99 (https://www.createagift.co.uk). I havent access to a printer so I am ordering them online.

sam
  • samcantcope
    Options
    They are also doing an offer buy 3 and get 1 free.

sam
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    Well every year my DIL asks me what I would like for christmas and I always say slippers. I dont care how many pairs I get as I suffer from cold feet. I dnot know your inlaws but maybe an idea. Also if your BF dad drinks, a bottle of his fav may go down well as it always does with my OH. You may think bath stuff is not very interesting but I also love to get this.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • Suzey
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions :D Your talking about slippers has just reminded me of when they visited last December. I got to my bf's place and his mum jumped off the sofa to give me a hug and she was wearing nothing but this silky short dressing gown! :eek: I didn't know where to look! Bf was embarrassed too!

I hate receiving bath stuff - I'm just a creature of habit, though, so I like to stick with my usual brands. Last year someone actually bought me the stuff I use, which was good.

I'd like to get them something they can keep, as we don't see each other often so it would be nice if they could look at it and remember me.

Suze

Well every year my DIL asks me what I would like for christmas and I always say slippers. I dont care how many pairs I get as I suffer from cold feet. I dnot know your inlaws but maybe an idea. Also if your BF dad drinks, a bottle of his fav may go down well as it always does with my OH. You may think bath stuff is not very interesting but I also love to get this.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    How about a more modest dressing gown? :D

What about a voucher for them to have a nice meal out in Jan/Feb? It's nice to have something to look forward too after the festivities have gone.
    Here I go again on my own....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport