'Mental Capacity and Debt, new OFT consultation' blog discussion

13»

Comments

• I am now in so much debt, partly brought on by my mental health situation. Last year i was on a high, and thought it would be such a good idea to go out, max my catolouges, get a credit card and a bank loan! (plus about 3 provident/greenwoods loan) A year on, im struggling so much - i have never felt so low! I agree something should be done asap, as i would never wish this situation on anyone
  • System
    System Posts: 178,086 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I support any changes that might help the mentally ill. I have friends with MH problems who have racked up horrendous debts due to their problems.
  • Hello everyone
    I'm very new to this site so not sure exactly how to use it. I thought however this will be the best place for me to get some infromation. My problem is £38.000 debt after my husband commited suicide last year. He was manic depressive since he was a teenager with some good years and bad. He was hospitalized few time and on medication for three years. Through all these years he applied for few credit cards, loans which came to a total of the sum I mentioned above. When he died I realised I will be the person who is going to cover all the debt because I will own the property where we lived and there is enough equty to pay everyone off. i must mention that none of the debts was in my name.
    Currently I have huge problems to get the mortage because of strict rules that apply to it in today's economic climate. I'm also trying to borrow additional funds to cover the outstanding debts. However I would like to ask if I do have to pay all the debts left after my husband if he was mentally disturbed and probably not knowing exactly what he was signing ? Can anybody give me some answers or links where I would need to get advice or help. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure