🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

25 year, fixed rate, offset mortgage

Options
Hi,

I was just wondering if it is possible to get a 25 year fixed rate offset mortgage.

It will be a re-mortgage, house value 145,000, 115,000 left on mortgage

combined earnings of 25600 gross - 19200 net per anum (wifes earnings (Teacher), i am house husband = no earnings)

Many thanks for any help you can provide
and kudos to martin lewis saved £500 on car insurance...

Comments

• Mortgageman
    Options
    25 year fixed rate mortgage - yes
    fixed rate offset mortgage - yes
    25 year fixed rate offset mortgage - not seen one,

are you sure that:

a) You want to fix for so long
    b) You would fully utilise an offset

What prompted you to want this particular type of product?
    I work for a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    ( I have ammeded this signature slightly, as I do not actively provide mortgage advice. However, I support and adhere to the moneysavingexpert mortgage broker code of conduct)
  • quack
    quack Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    thanx for such a swift reply

We were hoping to get a garunteed payment amount per month avoiding an economic intrest rate roller coaster for the term of the mortgage which seems to be the most likely whilst utilising the ofset to knock off some of the interest payable over the term

ta
    :)
  • DiggingOut
    DiggingOut Posts: 770 Forumite
    Options
    How much savings do you have, and what is your approximate monthly average current account balance? Unless one or both of these is a pretty significant amount, an offset doesn't pay.
    I have five stars! This doesn't mean that I know anything about any of the things I post. I could be a raving lunatic, or a brilliant genius, or just some guy on the internet. In fact, I could be all three at the same time.

If anything I say makes sense, then do it. If not, don't. Don't blame me or my stars if you do something stupid because I suggested it. I'm responsible for my own stupidity only. You are responsible for yours.

Why, I don't even have five stars anymore! Aren't you glad you aren't responsible for my stupidity?
  • Mortgageman
    Options
    The problem with 25 year fixed rates (well the main one) is that they almost invariably have penalties for redeeming the mortgage.

They are also relatively expensive.

D/O makes good points about offset - are you really sure they are best for you (you'll find plenty of discussion here about offset / lowest discount)

Best thing to do is to talk to an expert, and look at costings for a variety of scenarios (25 year fixed / 10 year fixed / 5 year fixed / some offset / some not ), as it is the costings which I think will drive your decision.
    I work for a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    ( I have ammeded this signature slightly, as I do not actively provide mortgage advice. However, I support and adhere to the moneysavingexpert mortgage broker code of conduct)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport