MSE News: Nationwide: House prices continue to fall

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The average cost of a home dropped by a further 0.3% during November, following a 0.7% slide in October ..."

Replies

• Why isnt this in the 'Debate House Prices and the economy' Board?
  • brit1234brit1234 Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Good news for the majority. We have now got a clear trend of price falls in all surveys going back months.

House prices are still highly overvalued compared to historical norms. Internationally all the other housing bubble are deflating fast it is time the UK followed suit.

I recommend all first time buyers to hold off buying, keep saving those deposits and enjoy the continuing price falls. You will save a fortune and get protected from the dreaded negative equity.

Every month you hold out you save £1000 or so and save a bigger deposit.

Good news for buyers.
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • brit1234 wrote: »
    Good news for the majority. We have now got a clear trend of price falls in all surveys going back months.

House prices are still highly overvalued compared to historical norms. Internationally all the other housing bubble are deflating fast it is time the UK followed suit.

I recommend all first time buyers to hold off buying, keep saving those deposits and enjoy the continuing price falls. You will save a fortune and get protected from the dreaded negative equity.

Good news for buyers.

Although you are correct in what you say about the probable saving on the purchase price by delaying, it doesn't factor in any rent that first time buyers might need to pay during the waiting period. So although delaying may well represent an overall saving, it's not as clearcut as it may seem at face value.
    However, getting as large a deposit as possible is generally a good idea just from a personal security point of view. It also gives more access to the better deals if the deposit is larger.

Where do you get £1000 per month from?

With a 0.3% fall this month you would have to be looking at property priced at £333,333.00 to save £1000 this month. Are you looking at properties at that level?

Even if you are, that's hardly the figure that most first time buyers can aim at, surely?
  • Why isnt this in the 'Debate House Prices and the economy' Board?

There is nothing to debate - the prices have fallen.
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.
    Read the sticky on the House Buying, Renting & Selling board.

• There is nothing to debate - the prices have fallen.

Then why create a discussion thread if there is nothing to discuss/debate?
  • brit1234brit1234 Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Where do you get £1000 per month from?

With a 0.3% fall this month you would have to be looking at property priced at £333,333.00 to save £1000 this month. Are you looking at properties at that level?

Even if you are, that's hardly the figure that most first time buyers can aim at, surely?

If you take the average monthly drop on about £200K property you get roughly £1000.

The
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
    If you take the average monthly drop on about £200K property you get roughly £1000.

The

£200,000 / 100 x 0.3 = £600. (0.3% is the drop this month).

I think the average price of a UK property is around £165k which gives us a drop of £495 this month. As your post was aimed at FTBs I would assume that this sector of buyers would be buying the average price house or less as there only starting out on the ladder.

I'm not opposed to housing drops and if I was an FTB in no rush to buy then I would hand on, but lets not fool ourselves about the amount of money being saved month on month. With rents steeper than mortgages and apparently increasing each month, the monthly saving would be much less, if anything, unless of course the FTB is getting free accomodation.
  • hshenhshen Forumite
    109 Posts
    brit1234 wrote: »

The

I'm all for saving a large deposit, but if house prices goes down and rent goes up fast. What happens then?

I like to see some official numbers on rent rises. I haver personally experiences > 20% increase in the last 18 month. So are you better off renting?

On the other hand if you were staying with family... :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals