We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

In a fix

Options
I have applied for a Capital One credit card and have been initially refused because of my mortgage being in joint names with my husband. He has been having money problems recently and I know he has defaulted on his credit card repayments.
I have written to the Manual Review dept at Capital One requesting that they review my application as I have never been refused credit in the 30 years that I have had a financial history. I feel very strongly that I should not be judged on somone else's errors. I am still awaiting their decision.
If they decline my application again will this affect any other applications and how can I help to get rid of my husband's credit card debt (approx. £3500) as it is costing him (and ultimately me) a fortune?
Do other credit card companies know that I have been declined for an application?

Thank you.

Comments

• justmarried06
    Options
    Hi there, welcome to the boards!

If you have applied for a card then this will show on your credit file as a search and so other companies will know that a recent search has been carried out. If you have never had any problems with credit and your OH has £3500 with the mortgage for both of you then it sounds as if it would be worth your while in getting hold of a copy of your credit files, either from https://www.checkmyfile.com or https://www.creditexpert.com to make sure that there is nothimg on there that shouldn't be.

You'd also be surprised what can have an impact on your credit rating (even down to not having a landline which is important for many lenders) and the reports will give you a better idea of what could be influencing their decisions.

HTH, sorry its not much but I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon!

JM
    Proud to be dealing with my debts :T DFW Nerd: 241
  • Mizz_Pink
    Mizz_Pink Posts: 756 Forumite
    Options
    I was asked by Experian if I wanted to be linked to hubbys credit record, I agreed but sometimes this can affect the credit you apply for. I'm not sure if you can "unlink" your association with hubbys finances.
    Just owe Dad £2500 for a new car
    :A

Paid off car loan 22nd August 2009. :T
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    first thing is to find out why your husband has incurred these debts and why he has defaulted on these debts.
    then you need to agree a plan to repay these will him. perhaps he could post a SoA here?
    Unfortortunately, as you are financially linked to him (via the mortgage) it will adversely affect your credit rating too. defaults stay on his file for 6 years.
    other credit card companies only know you have applied for credit but not the result. do not make too many applications as other companies will see this as desperation.

why do you need a new card?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport