Pay date change - have I been short changed?

Options
My pay date has been moved from 15th to month end by my employer. I was expecting 6 weeks' pay this time to compensate but they just paid me the same money as usual. Can they do this?

Comments

• MrRedundant
    Options
    Well it depends. If you were paid on the 15th for the calendar month or a set period then changing the date has no relevance to the amount paid. It would only be if you were paid in arrears on the 15th you would be entitled to more.

It sounds to me your employer pays for the calendar month and has moved to the end to improve cash flow and avoid staff walking out without notice at a financial loss.
  • Evilm
    Evilm Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Options
    As above it depends on the pay dates involved. They could have been paying you for November on 15th November so paying you two weeks in arrears and two weeks in advance. If so they are now paying you at the end of the month for the same period and just paying a month in arrears (as most firms do). If they were paying from the 15th of October to 14th November on the 15th November then you may be owed two extra weeks.

The question to ask of HR is what would happen if a member of staff if they are leaving or taking unpaid leave.

I do think (but I am not sure so I hope someone will clarify for you) that if you have incurred extra costs you may be able to claim them back from the company.
  • bigsooze
    Options
    As others have said, most companies pay for the full calendar month although pay dates could be at any time.

If your pay date is contractual, then you should have had contractual notice of the date changing so that you could put alternative financial arrangements in place. (This happened at my work and we had 15 months notice!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure