Looking for a simple cheap mp3 player

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
10 replies 820 views
streatherstreather Forumite
82 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
Hey guys, been poking around online for a decent cheap mp3 player for a couple of days and so far i've only really found 2 tempting looking options, the sandisk sansa clip+ or the ipod shuffle.

All i really want is it to be well built, cheap and for it to play music, don't need videos/games/email/etc

Looking to spend about 30-40 max, any help is appreciated guys :)

Replies

• jenniewbjenniewb Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stick with the sandisk, ipod and cheap don't go together- you pay extra but what your paying for is a brand name, your not paying more to get more (in terms of quality). I have Sony everything when it comes to music (I know, its a brand name but it means I always know how a new model works without having to read instruction manuals- they all work the same way!) but I have heard the Sandisk being recommended many times by people on here, if you go to Amazon you can read some reviews too.

I would not recommend the Creative Zen, these just freeze- not just for me but it would seem for many others who buy them.

I would recommend Amazon though, they are very good with customer service returns and deal with things speedily.
  • mum2onemum2one Forumite
    16.3K Posts
    Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a Creative branded MP3 player when they were realitevly new on the market, and its still going as good now, I paid £60 which was the going rate then, .......

What about the apple shuffle in Argos, thats just under £40 2gb memory. x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Lugh_ChronainLugh_Chronain Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Black - £38.99 Amazon.

I got a 4GB one when Currys had them on offer, paid £25 for it. It was fairly good and tended to use it more for the radio than for mp3s. The only thing was it packed in not all that long after buying it, should have brought it back though as it was still under guaratee but didn't get round to it. Mind you, I discovered recently that I no longer have the receipt for it so probably wouldn't have been able to take it back anyway.

As I say, it was fairly good so don't let what happended to the one I had put you off. It may be that it was just faulty anyway.

Have a look at the reviews if you're still unsure.

customer reviews
  • I know you are asking for yourself and not for children, but I will give you my experience anyway :)
    My kids have got this one
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5138207/Trail/searchtext%3EMP3+PLAYER.htm

Very basic and doesn't have a display screen, but at £11 I can't complain at all. I bought them for a flight back in August as their step-sister had one and I didn't want arguments,intending to upgrade them this Xmas but they are still going strong (and my boys are very rough!) so I am not going to bother getting new ones :) it does runs off a battery rather than being rechargeable. They also do a 4GB one for £16

My step daughter has this one, you have to charge it through your USB port, but the charge lasts aaaaaaages. £22.49
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5139282/Trail/searchtext%3EMP3+PLAYER.htm#pdpFullProductInformation
    we have had no problems with this one either.
  • richardvcrichardvc Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    My oh bought a Archos 2gb one for about £12 and it seems fine ! Archos clipper I think.

Charges when it's plugged into the pc/laptop - all very simple, small and she's pleased !!

You can also see a review of it on youtube - put in Archos Clipper 2GB MP3 Player Review and you should have any questions answered !!
    Thanks to MSE I cleared £37k of debt in five years and I was lucky enough to meet Martin to thank him personally.
  • Lugh_ChronainLugh_Chronain Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ASDA were also selling the Archos clipper 2GB mp3 player for £12 a couple of weeks ago.

These may also be worth checking out:

Archos 14 Vision MP3 Player 4GB - Black - £21.99 MyMemory

Archos 1 Vision MP3 Player 4GB - Black - £21.99 MyMemory

ASDA had the Archos 1 Vision for £14 just over a month ago, doubt they'll have it for that price now though.

Oh, and don't forget cashback.
  • NilremNilrem Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Sandisk players tend to be pretty good, and iirc the Clip like most of them can take a Micro SD card to increase it's capacity which is very handy.
    I have one of the Fuze (bigger screen) versions which has proven to be a good reliable player in general, and I use an 8gb card to hold additional tracks (very handy as I often have to give lifts to people so i have "popular" music on the player, and more niche stuff on the card, and pop the card out when i've got passengers) in the car).
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ive had a creative zen one for years and its fab-easy to use and small.
  • I'm prefering ipod nano...
  • jenniewbjenniewb Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LeonP wrote: »
    I'm prefering ipod nano...
    ...but not very MSE ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides