having a bad time at the mo :(

Hi just thought I would post on here as not been on for a while and you were all so much help the last time I was on :)

I am going through a bit af a hard patch... which I knew was coming but not sure which way to turn.

basically we have been on DMP with payplan and have made 1 payment so far, we are due to make our second payment now. we have all been ill for the last month with various bugs that have been going around but because of that my husband has not been paid... therefore I have only been able to make part of my mortgage payment, not pay my bt bill. I am 3 months now behind in water and am unable to make my payplan payment. On top of this we only have 3 weeks till xmas and I still have stuff to get and based on the income due to come in and even based on the limited xmas budget ive given myself.. I dont know how we are going to do it. I am so fed up and not sure which way to turn :(
LBM 23/08/2010

Make £5 a day in September 260/150

Comments

• podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    *hugs* sounds awful to be getting more setbacks just when you were getting sorted. Am assuming hubby is on a temp contract so that's why he doesn't paid if he's off ill? Has he looked at applying for SSP as I'm sure you can ask for it to be paid as a benefit if your employer won't pay it.
    Make sure you speak to all the bills you can't pay, if it's only going to be for a month of two they are generally quite understanding but if you just ignore them they get a lot worse.
    Regarding xmas maybe just mentioned to family and friends that you are a bit short this year and agree to just buy token items or just for the children. If you have a look on the Christmas boards there are also lots of ideas for cheap or homemade gifts and ways to save money over the holidays.
    Hope things look up for you soon x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    edited 30 November 2010 at 4:14PM
    Hate to blunt but you cannot afford Christmas to be honest.Unless you can pick things up in charity shops or similar.You could try Freeangle.
    This isent what you will want to hear.
    Your priority is your secured debt~ie mortgage.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Norfolk_Jim
    Norfolk_Jim Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Have you thought of having a themed Christmas this year - re enact a Christmas Carol in your own home or have a Dickensian or Victorian Christmas - Get all the family into it. You could research how the Victorians spent Christmas day, what food they ate, how they dressed. I guess you'd have to make the top hats out of card but you could make what may otherwise be a miserable Christmas where you feel really impoverished quite fun. Although you might give an orange & a lump of coal for historical effect you could also include lots of nice bits and pieces from poundland maybe - sweets etc. Honestly, so very little that gets given or recieved at Christmas survives long.
    You might find festive ideas on the money saving OS board, and recipes.
    Just an idea - I'm in the same boat lovvie - it really can get you down, but we can rise above it. Beware of candles though - they are too risky.
    Helps if your a crafty sort, if your not, sorry, but kids often are.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 November 2010 at 5:41PM
    unsuremom wrote: »
    Hi just thought I would post on here as not been on for a while and you were all so much help the last time I was on :)

I am going through a bit af a hard patch... which I knew was coming but not sure which way to turn.

basically we have been on DMP with payplan and have made 1 payment so far, we are due to make our second payment now. we have all been ill for the last month with various bugs that have been going around but because of that my husband has not been paid... therefore I have only been able to make part of my mortgage payment, not pay my bt bill. I am 3 months now behind in water and am unable to make my payplan payment. On top of this we only have 3 weeks till xmas and I still have stuff to get and based on the income due to come in and even based on the limited xmas budget ive given myself.. I dont know how we are going to do it. I am so fed up and not sure which way to turn :(

Hi

Speak to Payplan and defer your payment; they are used to this sort of thing. You should not be making payments if you are behind on the mortgage and utilties.

With respect to both coping this month and Christmas, please come over to the Money Saving Old Style forum http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2116179&highlight=40 and read up on the cheap menus and store cupboard challenges http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=20967. Also look at the Christmas thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2160839

With respect to presents etc, then it has to be www.freegle.co.uk or www.freecycle.com which ever operates in your area. You really cannot afford anything else if the mortgage, BT and water are behind.

As Jim has said, there are ways of making Christmas fun which are not expensive and do no necessarily cost anything. Pick up the free magazines inthe supermarkets and the junk mail, cut into strips and get the kids to make paperchains, for example.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Thanks for your replies guys xxx I have spoken to payplan and have asked them about the payment they have just said to pay it asap. Have paid majority of mortgage today and piority will be to get this cleared over next 2 wks. Northern rock have said this is fine as this is the first time I have ever been late on a payment.

As far as water is concerned I will contact these to set up an arrangement and see if I can add this to dmp. BT will also be paid over the next couple of weeks... cant do any more than that at the mo. As far as xmas is concerned I think any pressies not already bought will have to be put on hold till all this sorted. and I do have £130 due this month from quidco so that will help with food and last bits. we are also going to family on boxing day through to new year so at least we only have to shop for xmas dinner. will def have a look on old style board though xx
    LBM 23/08/2010

Make £5 a day in September 260/150
  • loveGSDs
    loveGSDs Posts: 317 Forumite
    hi there,

just wanted to say good luck for the next few months. it will be tough but you will come through it. as others have said, the mortgage is the most important.

all the best

xx
    Moved into dream house - 17/08/12 :D
    Savings - £600
    Xmas 2013 - £43
    Credit card - £2741 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income