Cheap Moneysaving Pressie for DH?

Options
There's no money in our budget really for a present for DH and I, but it occured to me that if we could find a couple of small gifts that would help us save money then we could endulge a little. On that basis I thought I'd have a darning mushroom and some darning yarn as my present, but I don't know what to get DH.

He's rubbish at DIY, he's got a book and some tools, but not the capacity to use them. Lessons would be way beyond my budget!

Any ideas? I'm thinking less than £10, but all ideas gratefully received.

Thanks
CSNM

Comments

• MrsCrafty
    MrsCrafty Posts: 2,114 Forumite
    Options
    I think that a good diy dvd would be good from amazon. Simply because of the reviews. If there are loads you are on the right track. I am sure you can find one that's quite a lot cheaper than £10.00.

Darning, not worth it unless you buy very expensive socks. We get ours from M&S and they are not worth darning, although I admire your stance.
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What about one of Martins books if you don't have them already?

Keep an eye out on the freebies board - you might find something small but suitable that you pay nothing for (although its better to do that earlier as they can take a wee while to arrive, maybe for next year)

Fruit canes, vegetable seeds or a potato planter for the garden if you have one? Or a window box and herb/chilli seeds if you don't?

The fishing rod set from here: http://www.grabitnow.com/show/sport-and-leisure/

(They also have patio growers, tools etc).
  • midnightraven3
    Options
    ok, think outside the box
    and i realize this extends things a bit but stay with me

do you have a friend or neighbour who IS good at DIY?
    an elderly neighbour would be ideal

now approach them and ask if they would be willing to give hubby a few lessons in basic DIY to get him started, and in exchange you will do his mending etc for him (or another skill swap) we ALL have talents, that we dont consider "talents" as we do them naturally without thinking, however other people can do things we cant

then you make up hubby some DIY lesson vouchers

yes it means you are having to get 2 presents instead of one
    but neither will cost actual money

where i used to live, there was a "skills bank"
    it was amazing
    elderly people got light bulbs changed, gardens done, decorating etc
    in exchange they baked pies, taught baking, did mending etc
    it really brought the community together

its something that should be expanded
  • midnightraven3
    Options
    i should have added

i would LOVE a present like this
    either something done i cannot do myself, or something that teaches me something new

i have everything i want in material goods
    knowledge is priceless

if you have an elderly neighbour, he would probably welcome the opportunity to pass on any skills
    and probably welcome a home cooked meal or pie in return for a lesson!
  • canspendnomore
    Options
    MrsCrafty wrote: »
    Darning, not worth it unless you buy very expensive socks. We get ours from M&S and they are not worth darning, although I admire your stance.

I've found some darning thread on Eb*y that is quite reasonably priced. I thought that would make it worth it. I tend not to think of buying new socks at the moment, so they're holey!!!

Does anyone know how much yarn it takes to darn one medium sized hole. I can buy about 30m of yarn for £.2.50 or cheaper if I buy in bigger bulk.

If this is not cost effective, then I'll also need some ideas for my present too.
  • canspendnomore
    Options
    I really like the idea Midnightraven3.

We tried joining a skills swap for this very reason, but it wasn't very big and everyone wanted DIY done!!

We don't really know anyone here to approach, we've not lived here very long so wouldn't know who was good at DIY. I don't want DH taught how to put up shelves that fall down, I think he could do that now. He he!

I did try and get the same deal sorted with my brother and his wife, but between them they can do what we can offer, so it would be us always taking from them. Whilst they don't mind, they have a very young family so don't get much time. Probably the one thing they would need would be money to do the things they can't do, which we can't do!!

Sorry for rambling, I'm shutting up now.
  • gizmodo_2
    gizmodo_2 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    Options
    Could you just do something silly like a hamper/box of his fave foods? Favourite choccy bar, beans, soup, noodles, crisps...I don't know?

Can you make your money go further? Got any points to use up? Got any Tesco clubcard vouchers? Spend them on deals or double up while the promos on?

Play.com has loads of things for £5 or less delivered.

You could make a book of vouchers for him to redeem from you (like washing up/massage/other more naughty things ;))
    Baby Giz born 6/2/11
  • canspendnomore
    Options
    gizmodo wrote: »
    You could make a book of vouchers for him to redeem from you (like washing up/massage/other more naughty things ;))

I didn't mention that my mother will be with us for Christmas so it can't get too raunchy!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure