Mattress - best out of a bad bunch?

Sam_41
Sam_41 Posts: 55 Forumite
edited 29 November 2010 at 8:10PM in I wanna buy it or do it
Oh no, not another mattress thread??

Having spent HOURS looking through all the mattress threads on here, I decided to go for the La Romantica Charlotte bed. Prices ranged from £170 - £245, unfortunaely having tried 3 different suppliers, none can deliver for this Saturday.

I am moving house (first-time buyer) on Saturday, so it is essential I get one for then. I know I've left this late, but after being really messed around by our solicitor doing everything possible to delay (it's a long story) we only secured the completion date yesterday.

Am I now confined to buying a cheap & nasty / OK but very pricey mattress from a big store, or can anyone recommend a website with quick delivery? I've found a few from a company who do free next day delivery, but are they any good?

=55169]Supreme Pocket 1000 - £205

=55169]Kozeesleep Climacool 1000 - £207

Relyon beds - Bedstead 1000 Pocket mattress - £239

Rest Assured beds - Lola 1400 Mattress £237

Budget is £250 (although cheaper the better) and I'm after a double.

Comments

• Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Sam_41 wrote: »
    Oh no, not another mattress thread??

Having spent HOURS looking through all the mattress threads on here, I decided to go for the La Romantica Charlotte bed. Prices ranged from £170 - £245, unfortunately having tried 3 different suppliers, none can deliver for this Saturday.

I am moving house (first-time buyer) on Saturday, so it is essential I get one for then. I know I've left this late, but after being really messed around by our solicitor doing everything possible to delay (it's a long story) we only secured the completion date yesterday.

Am I now confined to buying a cheap & nasty / OK but very pricey mattress from a big store, or can anyone recommend a website with quick delivery?

There are more than just 3 suppliers on line. So try them all.
  • Sam_41
    Sam_41 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Tim - is your warehouse in Dewsbury? Could I collect it from there?

Failing that, other than La Romantica, what mattress would you recommend in the <£250 range?
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    Do you really want to buy a mattress without trying it?
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • eco
    eco Posts: 1,147
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sam I know your moving but rushing to buy a mattress isn't the right thing to do, get out there and try some, there's loads of manufacturers in Dewsbury and Batley, try ringing round and see if any of them will let you test them on the premises. Getting delivery by Saturday is going to be tricky given the weather we are going to get in the next few days but again you never know.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    We bought our bed off of ebay (new) last year. Although we couldn't try the exact bed, we did go into a store and try out the type of mattress we were looking to buy (pocket spring with a memory foam layer). Would have ideally bought from store but the store price was £1000+, with the eBay price being £300.

I would urge you not to rush into buying a bed/matress - think how much time you spend in bed.... Personally I would see if you can borrow an air bed or the like from a friend (worse case perhaps buy one) until your bed can be delivered. Its not ideal I know and I am sure that you want everything to be perfect when you move, but rushing to buy a bed/mattress could just be a false economy in the long run.

If you are desparate for a mattress in the meantime to tide you over, I think John Lewis do a 'mattress to go' range - where it's rolled up and you can take it away from store that day.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Tim_Deegan
    Sam_41 wrote: »
    Tim - is your warehouse in Dewsbury? Could I collect it from there?

Failing that, other than La Romantica, what mattress would you recommend in the <£250 range?

I'm afraid I can't reveal my company, or recommend anything on here as it could be viewed as advertising. However I can tell you that we are not in Dewsbury.
  • Tim_Deegan
    closed wrote: »
    Do you really want to buy a mattress without trying it?

There is nothing wrong with buying without trying, as long as you have a rough idea about what you want. Trying a bed out for 10 mins in a shop, fully clothed can only give you a very rough idea. And doesn't tell you what the mattress would be like to sleep on. So you would be better off buying from a seller who has a very good returns policy that allows you to unpack and sleep on the mattress. Then ask them advice as it would be in their interest to make sure that you make the right choice the first time.
  • allstar4eva
    allstar4eva Posts: 206 Forumite
    edited 21 December 2010 at 6:21PM
    Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with buying without trying, as long as you have a rough idea about what you want. Trying a bed out for 10 mins in a shop, fully clothed can only give you a very rough idea. And doesn't tell you what the mattress would be like to sleep on. So you would be better off buying from a seller who has a very good returns policy that allows you to unpack and sleep on the mattress. Then ask them advice as it would be in their interest to make sure that you make the right choice the first time.

I think only an online seller of mattresses would give the advice above. Everyone else in the real world would recommend you try out a mattress before you buy. What if you don't like it? How do you post it back if the seller chooses to be awkward? What about the hassle of deliveries?

Trust me they can spend time with you and advise you and still get it wrong and on top of getting the recommendation wrong they can also refuse to refund you your money until you have sent the mattress back to them at your expense! Why take the chance?
  • lynx10
    lynx10 Posts: 115
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 22 December 2010 at 10:07AM
    We purchased the La Romantica Charlotte Pocket Sprung Double Bed early 2009, but over the past few months I have encountered some discomfort when awakening in the morning (lower back and neck in varying degrees). I sent a message to the supplier at the end of November, seeking advice, but am still awaiting a response.

Meanwhile, has anyone else with experience of the Charlotte bed/mattress got a view ? (either way)
  • Tim_Deegan
    lynx10 wrote: »
    We purchased the La Romantica Charlotte Pocket Sprung Double Bed early 2009, but over the past few months I have encountered some discomfort when awakening in the morning (lower back and neck in varying degrees). I sent a message to the supplier at the end of November, seeking advice, but am still awaiting a response.

Meanwhile, has anyone else with experience of the Charlotte bed/mattress got a view ? (either way)

Well contact them again, as under SOGA you are entitled to replacement or repair with you only having to pay some of the cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure