We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Self employed/ mixed income - Self cert alternative??

Hi,

I need to remortgage following a relationship break up but am self employed and on short term contracts. I have had a mortgage for over 3 years that I have regularly paid, and have no bad credit history or other debts, but am having trouble raising a mortgage because of the ban on self certification. Is there an alternative or is my only option to sell up and move out?

Thanks

Comments

  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    You do not need a self cert mortgage.

    As you are self employed you will get a mortgage based on the verifiable income on your accounts or SA302s/tax calculations.

    By the sounds of it, you may want to go via a whole of market broker, to see if there is indeed anything available to you.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • I've only been self employed for a year, and only as a part of my income - the rest came from a student bursary which has run out and part time employment.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    I've only been self employed for a year, and only as a part of my income - the rest came from a student bursary which has run out and part time employment.


    OK - so you will need to see if there is a lender that could agree waht you are looking for.

    Choices will be very limted based on the income track record - but you may have some options.

    You have not posted any figures so difficult to say more than that really.

    You had better get in contact with a good whole of market broker, to see if you would have any options available.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.