Great 'Xmas gifts for the kids if you're skint' Hunt

12345679»

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The best thing any parent can give to a child is quality time and real interest and discussion about what they are doing.
    A Chinese consumer tat competition is no substitute.

I wish more parents were aware of this. Sadly, I think many are and don't seem to do anything about it...
  • got my son a bmx from tescos online last week reduced from 70 pounds down to 37 pound, was thrilled and i belive they will do this on several bikes over the next few weeks.
  • nat21luv
    nat21luv Posts: 3,434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Cashback Cashier
    I came from a family of 'one at a timers' too, as a child I loved it, seeing who got what and making present opening last all day.

Last year my stepson stayed xmas eve and so was here in the morning. He dived straight into the pile of presents, tearing frantically at any present he could get his hands on. My two children were mortified as he was opening their presents too! My (now ex) partner told me to shut up and stop being so controlling, so I did. I sat back and watched my stepson open presents and chuck them to the side. He had no idea what was given by who and to me, looked very ungrateful with his gifts. My children were happy to open one at a time(thier own choice) and really enjoyed their gift before moving on to the next. It was all over for my stepson in 10mins whilst my children spent 4 hours on and off opening theres. There was tears, my stepson claimed my children had more presents than him because he finished first!

So this year its me, my children and my family of 'one at a timers'! :D
    £20k in 2023 = £2718 £2023 in 2023 = £196.41 Grocery challenge £250= £195.80 **MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
  • Birdy12
    Birdy12 Posts: 589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mamamoi wrote: »
    We do a Christmas eve hamper.... new PJs, toothbrushes, Christmas DVD (this year Grinch that stole Christmas £3 at tesco), christmas activity book/colouring book, reindeer dust, snowman soup (plenty of threads on these on the christmas and other festivities forum), pringles, nuts, chocs etc. This is a present from me & DH, as Fr Christmas brings all the gifts on Christmas Day.

Love this idea and don't think we've see The Grinch that Stole Christmas either!

Also in agreement on the 1 present opened by 1 person at a time thing. After DS embarassed me once by telling my MiL his present of clothes was 'boring' (he was a lot younger!) my 2 have been taught to show appreciation for every present even if it wasn't 'quite' what they were expecting!

One Christmas Eve, while DD was asleep, I redecorated her room with Disney Princess items, including a Disney Princess border that I'd bought from a car boot sale for £2. I even managed to change her pillowcase and duvet cover without her stirring! I'm aiming to do the same with DS this year, (sshhh, don't tell him), Union Jack style though, don't think he'd show much appreciation for Disney Princess!

Birdy
    It's wouldn't have not wouldn't of, shouldn't have not shouldn't of and couldn't have not couldn't of. Geddit?
  • Birdy12 wrote: »

One Christmas Eve, while DD was asleep, I redecorated her room with Disney Princess items, including a Disney Princess border that I'd bought from a car boot sale for £2. I even managed to change her pillowcase and duvet cover without her stirring! I'm aiming to do the same with DS this year, (sshhh, don't tell him), Union Jack style though, don't think he'd show much appreciation for Disney Princess!

Birdy

my parents did this for me and my sister one christmas, think i was six at the time, but it was only the duvet cover and cushion cover they changed.

they told me santa did it, and to this day (im 20 now) i still say that was my best christmas ever. such a magical memory believing santa did that whilst i was asleep :)
  • mummyplus3
    mummyplus3 Posts: 890 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2011 at 2:22AM
    Birdy12 wrote: »
    Love this idea and don't think we've see The Grinch that Stole Christmas either!

Also in agreement on the 1 present opened by 1 person at a time thing. After DS embarassed me once by telling my MiL his present of clothes was 'boring' (he was a lot younger!) my 2 have been taught to show appreciation for every present even if it wasn't 'quite' what they were expecting!

Birdy

I would LOVE to do this for my kids in a few years but I cant even walk the landing without one of them waking up! How on earth do you manage to do it?

At our house it was always, you came down stairs no earlier than 7am and the children opened there Santa's Sacks (although I am thinking of 'down grading' to stockings now!) then everyone would get dressed and we would have breakfast.

After Brekfast we would do all the presesnts from under the tree, There would be a designated 'giver outer' and people would just open as they got them. Spend the rest of the day playing with new pressies etc.... then about 7pm everyone has a few 'tree presents' just too round off the day.

I love this but do want to make a few tweaks to our christmas, being a Mum now instead of the child receiver has made me realise just how commerical my christmas's were and how almost ungrateful as a child I was. I don't want my kids to look back at what should be wonderful memories and feel bad.

Also no problems with 2nd hand here! Just bought my mum a awfully done up antique chair for £15 it really does look vile, but she is forever restoring antiques and is very good at it so she will love it! Also got my Nan a 4 peice suit by Jaques Vert for £15 on eBay, which she will love as she is always hunting round the charity shops for stuff by them. Lots of 2nd hand clothes for my eldest and best bargin was Managed to get my sister a Bench hoodie, Primani dress & a Hooch dress for £15 from facebook!
  • Jenni.
    Jenni. Posts: 14 Forumite
    I am getting married in the New Year so money is tight this xmas, so I am gonna buy and wrap all the things I know Hubby (to be) and kids need in the new year. Might not be totally exciting opening new school shoes for January, bedding and a new pair of specs (as Hubby's current ones fall of his face if he leans forward), but it makes the pile bigger, the opening last longer and hopefully if Santa has brought my son's school shoes they might be paid a bit more care (how does he scuff the top?).
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I've not read all of the pages , but doesn't anyone make presents any more. When my kids were little they always had home made presents. They had shop bought stuff as well, lego and that type of thing, my daughter still thinks of her home made rainbow pony as one of the best presents ever...... it was nothing special but she loved it. They've had dolls houses, forts, garages, farms soft toys all home made and they lasted a lot longer than shop bought stuff.

Now they are 30+ we still give presents but what they want and a food parcel. This year they are both going to be spoilt though, we have the money now, no debts and the mortgage was paid off in October.

My best present recently, for my 60th a few weeks ago was a hand spun, hand knitted jumper. DD doesn't have much money but wanted to do something special. She started spinning in March. I now have a jumper which fits my rather long arms, and no one in the whole world has one from the same wool or the same style ( she created the pattern as well).
  • Don't forget car boot sales in quest for inexpensive gifts, especially for children.This morning our local one had bikes, duplo, Brio etc all for next to nothing.
  • We had no money when our two were small, but they always had a great Christmas.
    They had their stocking with chocolate coins (2pks for £1 in Wilkinson's) a pez, satsuma, cox's apple, colouring book and crayons or dot to dot or magic painting book, felt tips, rubbers, notebooks etc all cheap in Wilkinson's and bought throughout the year. Now they get it filled with smellies, but they still get their coins, pez, satsuma, cox's apple and a selection box
    They slept in the same room and opened their stockings together (everything down to the smallest item was wrapped in different paper to ours and they were told that their stockings came from Santa and that the presents under the tree were from us.

I knitted dolls and dinosaurs, aran jumpers, crocheted blankets ( still have them) for both of them and they both got new pj's.

DH made our DD a hobby horse, he carved the head out of wood and it was one of her favourite presents ever. He also made a garage for DS and we got a lot of cars from a car boot sale to fill it.

We always make gingerbread men and a gingerbread house on Christmas eve and still do even though DD is 22 and DS is 17. They both make presents for friends and their friends do the same for them and everything is treasured.

If you ask them now what their favourite part of Christmas is, they will say it is the smell of the tree and the turkey cooking and sitting round the tree and slowly opening their pressies one at a time, closely followed by Christmas dinner, board games in the afternoon and chilling watching tv in the evening.

Crackers, paper, cards etc. were (and still are) bought in the after Christmas sales.

You don't have to spend a fortune to have a good Christmas
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business