Can I borrow this much and from who?

Options
Hi all, this is probably a question for brokers to see if the below can be done..

On a salary of £30k (basic), full time permanent job of 2 years, no debt or bad history..Can the following be borrowed? and which lender would it be ?

Property value: £185k
Deposit: 15%
amount to be borrowed: £157.25k
Property type: Ground floor leasehold 3 bed flat in London. 6 story building but flat has its own entrance to the outside.

Many thanks

Comments

• originalmiscellany
    Options
    Top of my head I'd say no... You're looking at a 5 times salary borrow, and I don't think anyone will let you in these frugal times :(
    Feb 2012 - onwards MF achieved
    September 2016 - Back into clearing a mortgage - Was due to be paid off in 32 years in March 2047 -
    April 2018 down to 28.00 months vs 30.04 months at normal payment.
    Predicted mortgage clearing 03/2047 - now looking at 02/2045

Aims: 1) To pay off mortgage within 20 years - 2037
  • cem
    cem Posts: 391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hmm so max that can be borrowed is £150k! Pants!! I would have thought C&G may have done it :-s
  • beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt if any lender would give your 150k - I don't think the above poster is telling you what you'd be likely to get, but warning you that 5 times salary is probably unobtainable. How could you afford that size of mortgage anyway - have you worked out what the payments would be?
  • cem
    cem Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    yes putting it that way, 5 times amount may be tough to get.

By my calculation, the interest only payments on 157k would be around £720pcm (assumed interest rate of 5.5%) which is affordable as well as putting a bit aside every month to clear after 25 years...hmm..perhaps time for joint application to push up the salary..
  • beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Options
    You'd need to give evidence of how you were planning on paying off the capital - a better plan that putting a bit aside each month would be needed. A repayment mortgage would cost you £965/month.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As Beecher2 says, lenders are getting more careful about IO mortgages - and most will require evidence of the repayment vehicle for the capital at the end of the mortgage. Taking the payments for this into account, I'd guess that a repayment mortgage will be no more expensive overall - and much safer when assessing likelihood that the mortgage will be paid off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure