Hair dye at home

Hi all. I have greys coming through (mainly on one streak at my right temple, at the roots) that I want to cover. I dye my hair about every three weeks, although to be honest, the area of greys is quite small (but can be quite obvious if I leave it untreated)

Anyway, I've just put an order though for a type of hair "mascara" for touch ups, but this solution is semi-permanent. I will still need to dye my hair (all over) about once a month i guess.
Any money saving tips?
Anyone buy their colour online? I've had a look at some hairdressing sites. Am I right in thinking their dyes tend to be one-stop (pre-mixed / no mixing-shaking involved)?

I have got some great online shopping tiips on here in the past - the fake tan thread was hreat! Any home dye-ers on there?

Thanks
(P.S. I HATE going to the hair dresser and have to drag myself there for trims. I don't want to get my hair dyed there too - I have not enjoyed the experience any time I have been, plus it works out quite dear.)

Comments

• Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    I die ( and yes I do mean that spelling, you should see it..Died to death) my hair and am also wondering what I can do to cut the price down. My hair is not a normal colour but purple or pink or red and most are semis bought online which is cheaper then a shop here but that is a wash in thing. I have bought dye from ebay as well and that seems to work out cheaper.

I was thinking about using a Lush Henna but I am worried that it means I will be stuck with it if I hate it ( can't use chemical dyes over henna according to the back of most of the packets of dye) and it also means a lot of work but it might make my hair less candy floss..
    It would of course be cheaper but it might end up like mud and I want a proper Oh My God red
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • Briggers - I had to smile as when I was a Fashion student there was ONLY ONE hair dye in the world that we all used - Krazy Color!!! Still available I see online!
    http://www.katesclothing.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CRAZYCOLOUR&click=5205 You could just touch up your roots every few weeks using a tinting brush (really useful) and then for the last ten minutes of development, rub some more right through to the ends.
  • I've used Nice N Easy for many many years with great sucess, as I went grey at 20.

You will need a permenent colour to cover the grey I'm afraid as a semi won't stay the true colour for long as the chemicals work differently on the hair.

Let us know how you get on.
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    i use the natrisse dyes - getthe same colour all the time, once a month i mix up half the dye and do my roots and once every 2 months do a full head
  • What about just dying the streak with one of those Touch up kits that come with a brush?
  • I think a semi permanent works fine & is less damaging to the hair & pocket. I tend to use Scwarhkopf country colours range, I also use a colour shampoo to help the colour last longer.
  • I've absolutely killed my hair dying it for the last 3 or so years, its been bleached and then every mad colour you could ever imagine being thrown on top! My hair is naturally a lightish brown, but I dye it a darker shade every six weeks or so using Boots' own range of hairdyes! They're about £3.30 a go, so a bit cheaper than branded dyes and work just as well (if not better!)
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use l'oreal lightest ash blond and it works very well for me. I get my daughter to do it and she does a great job!
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business