Do any supermarkets have telephone ordering?

Options
Do you have to be online to order groceries, or are there any supermarkets that will take orders by phone?
Never done either myself, but I know two people who would like to, both non drivers in their eighties.
Deal with things as they are, not as they should be.

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I very much doubt it.

You place your order online and then they print it out for the pickers to go and get.

Over the phone would need a human 24 hours a day answering the phones and then having to find every product as it would be no good saying I want a block of cheese for example when there are hundreds to choose from.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    there's nothing stopping them phoning a family member and the family member then orders online for them and gets it delivered to the older folks' address.;)
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 1,533 Forumite
    Options
    I would think Harrods still offer this sort of service.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Wiltshire farm foods do telephone ordering. But the simplest would probably be for them to set up a weekly or fortnightly order of staples with a family member or friend.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • clemmatis
    clemmatis Posts: 3,168 Forumite
    edited 28 November 2010 at 9:02PM
    Options
    Sainsbury does it, solarjunkie. All anybody needs to do is 'phone 0800 328 1700, it's their internet shopping service but their customer services people, who are usually really helpful, will place the order. I've used this system, it's fine.

Edited to add: you can get anything that's on their web catalogue and they search that for you.
  • patchwork_cat
    Options
    Waitrose does, I think.
  • the_other_mce
    Options
    clemmatis wrote: »
    Sainsbury does it, solarjunkie. All anybody needs to do is 'phone 0800 328 1700, it's their internet shopping service but their customer services people, who are usually really helpful, will place the order. I've used this system, it's fine.

Edited to add: you can get anything that's on their web catalogue and they search that for you.

This is correct - Sainsburys are fantastic. You go through to the internet ordering service and tell them that you want telephone ordering. There's a standard delivery rate depending on how many items you order (very reasonable - similar price as internet delivery). The staff are great. I cannot understand why this isn't publicised more - Sainsbury's deserve a medal. I know of a LOT of older people who survived the cold weather last winter thanks to Sainsburys delivering them their food and essentials that they ordered over the 'phone!
    :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Quite keen moneysaver......
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ailuro2 wrote: »
    there's nothing stopping them phoning a family member and the family member then orders online for them and gets it delivered to the older folks' address.;)

or use icelands free home delivery service if the relative works in town that has an iceland frozen food but yes the internet shopping idea is best
  • sas101
    Options
    Hi ,

I saw Iceland mentioned, I not sure how true it is but I was told yesterday Iceland have stopped home delivery.
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is correct - Sainsburys are fantastic. You go through to the internet ordering service and tell them that you want telephone ordering. There's a standard delivery rate depending on how many items you order (very reasonable - similar price as internet delivery). The staff are great. I cannot understand why this isn't publicised more - Sainsbury's deserve a medal. I know of a LOT of older people who survived the cold weather last winter thanks to Sainsburys delivering them their food and essentials that they ordered over the 'phone!

It probably costs them money compared with online so they probably don't want to promote it too much. Its the sort of thing that if you asked at customer service they would tell you about but they don't want to be shouting it from the rooftops as they would need more staff to keep up with the demand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure