Formally an NHS patient now dentist wants to treat as private

Options
Hey all

Just wondered if I could ask for some advice. I have always been an NHS patient (I was in full-time education). I have now got a job and my dentist says I'm not allowed to remain an NHS patient and must switch to private in order to be treated at that practice. Is this allowed? Thanks.

Comments

• jugglebug
    Options
    adidas wrote: »
    Hey all

Just wondered if I could ask for some advice. I have always been an NHS patient (I was in full-time education). I have now got a job and my dentist says I'm not allowed to remain an NHS patient and must switch to private in order to be treated at that practice. Is this allowed? Thanks.
    It depends unfortunately
    Some dentists have "exempt only" contracts with the NHS
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    Many dentists have restricted NHS contracts ie they will only see children and people exempt from paying NHS charges (ie on certain benefits etc). .
    If you wish to remain a patient at this practice the dentist is perfectly entitled to say they will only see you privately.

If you wish to remain a NHS patient then contact your local PCT/LHB whose number will be in the phone book to find out which practices might be taking on.
    However if you get on well with the dentist then you may want to investigate how much their private charges are.... Now you are employed you would presumably be paying NHS charges anyway.

Dental surgeries are not obliged to see anyone on the NHS .... There is no such thing ad registration any more and even mostly NHS practices will only offer an appointment if they have space and sufficient contract value left that year to be able to do treatment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure