Confused about skincare for eczema

Options
I've always used E45 and things like that for my sensitive skin and eczema, also the bath oil, nothing that foams, bland facial moisturisers etc.

However a friend of mine (male) has gone on at me for years about tea tree shower gel and how good it is, he uses the original source one and brought me one to try one day and I found it didn't irritate me at all and made me feel fresher so I've been using that for months, I also add it to my bath rather than than buying a separate bath oil. So far, no irritation. I use E45 cream afterwards to moisturise my body. However, I still wonder if I should be using an emolient to wash and bath with still. What do other eczema suffers use?

For facial care I use Simple wipes at night and a bland cleanser in the mornings, I've always used No7 or Body Shop face cream but have recently starting using Liz Earle face cream and I find that makes a real difference to my skin. Make up I use is either No7 or Clinique. I've always used Simple haircare before but am currently using the new Body Shop haircare which I didn't like at first but now find it OK.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Citygirl1 wrote: »
    However, I still wonder if I should be using an emolient to wash and bath with still. What do other eczema suffers use?
    if they have any sense, they use what works for them, not what ought to work iyswim.

DH uses E45 wash, but can't tolerate their other products. he hates experimentation so we stick to that and will only change if it seems to stop helping ...

btw do you know of the National Eczema Society? fantastic support.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sunshaeen
    sunshaeen Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there is a product called allergenics they sell in in holland and barret and is also available through prescription I have found it really good. It is all plant based they do creams shampoo and i think a body wash hope that helps you.
  • alisont
    alisont Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It might not suit your skin but Ive recently had a red rash on my neck - maybe linked to constant wearing of scarves in the cold weather?

Someone told me about Lush Dreamcream and I got a free sample pot - it has really been good and helped my skin - the girl in the shop said its been good for people with Eczema.

If you ask in store you will get a decent sized pot for a free trial - it's around £10 a pit so worth trying for free to check it suits.

Tea tree is good but unfortunatly does not suit my skin - I also use aloe vera gel from Holland and Barretts that helps.
    Sealed Pot Challenge number 8 Amount declared £365.50.

Sealed pot challenge number 9 number 482
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Nothing beats a low-grade olive oil for price and efficacy. Use after bathing whilst your skin is still slightly damp; a little goes a very long way and keeps skin well hydrated.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Citygirl1
    Citygirl1 Posts: 932 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for the replies, I have tried a sample of Dream Cream and it didn't suit me, I also never know what is best to use on my face.
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Citygirl1 wrote: »
    Hi all, thanks for the replies, I have tried a sample of Dream Cream and it didn't suit me, I also never know what is best to use on my face.

I'm really surprised you manage to get away with using wipes on sensitive skin citygirl. I've got "normal" skin and never liked the feeling I got after using any kind of wipes on my face, sort of tight and tingling feeling, no matter what brand! Would never use them on my face now.
  • Eric_Pisch
    Eric_Pisch Posts: 8,720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    E45 burns my skin eventually making it worse

Dr gave me some Aveeno cream and it has helped alot, i only need to use it 2 or 3 times a week now which is amazing

http://www.aveeno.co.uk/products/intense-dry-skin-range/16
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My son's eczema has been extremely bad for the past 18 months. He's been in hospital with it to try and get it under control. What might work for one person might not work for someone else. We've tried so much that my house resembles a chemist shop. All you can do is give it a try and see if it works - i'm assuming your skin hasn't broken or I would imagine the Original Source mint showergel would sting like bu**ery!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    worth asking in your local pharmacy if they have any samples before you buy things, also the NES magazine often has samples you can send off for.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • brighthair
    Options
    I don't have eczema, but I do have very sensitive skin

2 things I have used recently which seem to be very gentle
    http://www.eternalskincare.com/
    http://www.pfskincare.co.uk/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing