Debt Collectors/Bailiffs gaining entry?

Options
Hi,

I live in a house which is next to and above a hairdressers. The hairdresser told me that earlier this week a man in a suit with a clipboard went in there asking for me and asking if he could get entry to my house from her salon.

I would have to assume it was a debt collector, but are they allowed to gain entry in this way? I would have thought they either had to have my permission or get a warrant to enter the premises?

I am a bit concerned as the house is empty while I am at work, and my partner works away so there is just me and my little one in the house the rest of the time. Its a bit scary to think they could have just come in when I wasn't even here without any prewarning at all (I havent received any letters or calls).

Thanks,
Tess
Aiming for a debt free 30th birthday in August 2007!!

:doh: Total debt between us £7917

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Debt collectors have no right of entry whatsoever.

Bailiffs can effect entry through open doors or windows or if you let them in (so under no circumstances even open the door..speak through the letter box if necessary). However, bailiffs need a court order... have you received a CCJ or ignored court papers?
  • spacemonkeypg
    Options
    No I havent received anything by post or phone, nor any visits. I mean I do have debts, which I am in the process of sorting out, but I would have thought I would receive a letter or call before anyone came out.

The other thing that was strange that he asked the hairdresser for me by my name, and yet wouldnt tell her who he was.
    Aiming for a debt free 30th birthday in August 2007!!

:doh: Total debt between us £7917

• cattie1
    cattie1 Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    Options
    they are NOT allowed to get a warrant. the police are unable to help them gain access-if they force entry in ANY way it is illegal.
    official dfw nerd club member no 214
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!;)
    Why is a person that handles your money called a broker?!:confused:
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Spacemonkey,

When forced to deal with these self-confessed 'legalised criminals' :mad: :mad: it is important to know your rights. Have a look here:

https://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/debt_basics/bailiff-guide.htm

Good luck
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • cattie1
    cattie1 Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    Options
    No I havent received anything by post or phone, nor any visits. I mean I do have debts, which I am in the process of sorting out, but I would have thought I would receive a letter or call before anyone came out.

The other thing that was strange that he asked the hairdresser for me by my name, and yet wouldnt tell her who he was.
    I once had a man in suit and clipboard come to my door -after the threat of baillifs-and when I (stupidly!) answered the door it was a council official asking why I hadnt been paying my rent (I had!) I got all my receipts and slammed them in his face and he went away tail between his legs muttering something about system error.
    do you rent your home? this could possibly the reason why?
    official dfw nerd club member no 214
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!;)
    Why is a person that handles your money called a broker?!:confused:
  • advent1122
    advent1122 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    if they force entry in ANY way it is illegal.

Unless they have previously been granted access, in which case they can legally break in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure