i must be very unlucky. ccjs already

Options
Hi my letter is rather long and to the point, have massive debts in husbands name, until i had to break the news to him we are in big trouble he had no idea of the level, beleiving it to be more like 15,000.00 as i have mostly applied on his behalf. trying to shield him from it, and not being open with him. i have contacted payplan and have my first dd being deducted next friday. American Express (5700.000) went immediately for ccj upon being informed of my difficulties, judge set payments at 177.00 per month, have filed papers for reduction, with income and expenditure forms from payplan, still waiting to hear outcome 6 weeks later. Alliance and leicester pers loan (9500.00) have just issued ccj awaiting papers return from payplan. MBNA (10,000.00) have informed me they are issuing court papers and going for charging order.

Our debts are 60,000.00 rising by the week. payplan have worked out we have 133.00 disposable income for creditors, 9 of them. various reasons for this amount of debt, the stupidest being i had no idea we owed this amount until husband was off sick and I had to work out how much money was needed to fund payments that month. Had been thinking how we would possibly start to fund our retiremnt in the future, no private pensions, gaps in national insurance contributions as husband is self employed, suddenly realised in june could not borrow any more money to pay minimum payments on debts and had to stop all payments going out of bank to pay mortgage. Then it spiralled with all wanting double payments, plus charges.

Comments

• gargoyle
    gargoyle Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear of your predicament, but well done you for having the "lightbulb moment" and taking action on your debts. I'm afraid I can't really offer much help, but there are some great people on here in the same situation that can offer help and support. Good luck, and hope it all works out in the end.
    "Failure is always an option"

Sealed pot challenge #107 - still going strong
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi nwest girl,

Firstly, welcome to the DFW forum, where you will find many others in similar situations, and shedloads of advice.
    The first thing that you should do, is to post a full SOA - Statement of Affairs, listing all of your Income and Expenditure (for both of you) and then we will be better able to advise you. You can look at the 'Sticky' thread, posted by Southern Scouser, that you will find at the top of the page, to see how to do this.
    Since there are several alternatives, including DMP (Debt Management Plans), IVA (Individual Voluntary Agreements) and, ultimately, Bankruptcy, we need to look at the total situation before advising.
    You may also consider talking to one of the debt charities, such as CAB, PAYPLAN or CCCS. Their advice is confidential and free.
    At this stage, I would reccomend that you do NOT talk to any fee charging company who 'promise' to reduce your debts.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport