We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Pickled cauliflower anyone?
kitschkitty
Posts: 3,177 Forumite
Hi,
I know the basics of pickling onions, and I have the vinegar & cauliflower I need, but I just wanted to know, does anyone else pickle cauliflower and if so do you salt it first as with onions or not bother? Also do you cold or hot pickle yours as there seem to be lots of recommendations for both, or even blanching the cauliflower first.
I want to ensure mine remains sweet (as per my vinegar) and not salty. I don't mind it a little crunchy, but definitely don't want it really soft. I would prefer it if I could keep it in the cupboard, but have fridge space if necessary.
Thanks for reading.
I know the basics of pickling onions, and I have the vinegar & cauliflower I need, but I just wanted to know, does anyone else pickle cauliflower and if so do you salt it first as with onions or not bother? Also do you cold or hot pickle yours as there seem to be lots of recommendations for both, or even blanching the cauliflower first.
I want to ensure mine remains sweet (as per my vinegar) and not salty. I don't mind it a little crunchy, but definitely don't want it really soft. I would prefer it if I could keep it in the cupboard, but have fridge space if necessary.
Thanks for reading.
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
0
Comments
-
I've only used cauli in mixed pickles, onions, cauli, courgette/cucumber/marrow etc;
I cold pickled the cauli; don't think I salted it beforehand; I thought only watery veg like marrow etc needs salting to take the water and so it will absorb the vinegar?... don't throw the string away. You always need string!
C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener0 -
I salted mine before i pickled it and it was so salty when i tried it months later, it was really horrible! I won't salt it next time. I read it made the cauliflower crunchy...it also made it disgustingly salty...and i like salt....but not that much!Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200
NSD Challenge: October 0/140 -
I definitely won't salt mine then! I love pickled veg, but some of the ones I've had have been salty and I think they're horrible that way, I like them slightly sweet.A waist is a terrible thing to mind.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards