We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

My cake won't cook!

Has anyone ever made this...... http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/14/allegra-mcevedys-swedish-apple-cake

It's been in the oven and hour and a half now and the knife still doesn't come out clean! Do you think it's one where it just isn't supposed to do that?? I thought all cakes did!

Comments

  • Cazza wrote: »
    Has anyone ever made this...... http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/14/allegra-mcevedys-swedish-apple-cake

    It's been in the oven and hour and a half now and the knife still doesn't come out clean! Do you think it's one where it just isn't supposed to do that?? I thought all cakes did!

    What was the cake mix like before you cooked it - 240ml water seems like a lot.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Cazza
    Cazza Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    It was fairly runny, but not stupidly so! I've just taken it out of the over, it had 1hr 15mins, so I don't think it'll cook much more now! The apples that are on the top have gone well and truly past the "golden" stage though, oops :o
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Probably means either the mushy apples or the mushy cake mix directly under the apples is sticking to the knife. Let the knife cool then give it a lick. If it still tastes of raw flour it's not cooked. But tbh it's unnlikely that it's still raw after over an hour in the oven, just soggy. The recipe doesn't tell you to stick a knife in it, remember, and as it's just a sort of sponge cake I wouldn't expect it to either. I only do the skewer/knife test on fruit cakes.
    Val.
  • Cazza
    Cazza Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thank you! It's supposed to be for when the in-laws to be come round tomorrow but I just tried some to see if I dare serve it up!

    It is definielty cooked, just not at all what I was expecting - quite continental in style, the sort of thing I'd expect in a German or Austrian cake shop. I think I'll still produce it tomorrow afternoon, just need to work out the best way of not making it look as though I've laid into it already!
  • Could you just cut it into slices already or something so they wont see it whole?
  • Aless
    Aless Posts: 127 Forumite
    I cook Nigella's apple cake and the knife never comes out clean, it is just that type of moist cake. The mixture is also a batter when you put it in the oven so it is very moist. If yours is like that I would not worry at all.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 November 2010 at 7:08PM
    Cut it into slices and have a light dusting of something on it (icing sugar, or sugar, or cinnamon) then stack it on a plate to serve.... they'll never know you had a bit ... and a bit more.

    I'm tempted to make this right now as I think I've got all the stuff in.

    Edit: s0d that, read the recipe ... I don't have a whisk/food thingy, so I'd skimp ... and can't be bothered to sift and fold stuff. . . so I doubt I'll do it after all.

    Also - why would you "fold gently", if a couple of minutes later you're going to "beat" the butter/water into it?
  • Cazza
    Cazza Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    It's not as bad as it looks - I just used a wooden spoon, couldn't be bothered to wash up the food processor! :o

    And the bit where it says to melt butter in water..... I chucked the butter in the jug with boiling water, melted very nicely thank you :D

    I also made no distinction between folding an beating.


    Maybe this is why it took 1:15 in the oven..........!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.