Redemption Fee

Options
I'm way way off anywhere near getting rid of my mortgage, 35 years away!

Just wondered, this £90 that it costs to redeem a mortgage, is this only if you finish the mortgage early, i.e. I had to pay it when I sold my first house, but still had £98K left on the mortgage. If I let the mortgage run the full 35 years, is this fee waived?

Completely random question sorry, but just wondered.
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• BigDunc
    BigDunc Posts: 328 Forumite
    Options
    That certainly applies to my Halifax mortgage i.e. I only pay if I leave early. I got my annual statement through this week, your £90 is a bargain :rolleyes: , mine is more like £250.
    Fiscal drag, that's my problem. Too many people dragging on my fiscals.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It depends on the lender whether it applies to all redemptions or just early ones.
  • fatfreemummy
    Options
    i would say that if your mortgae runs to its full term then the early redemption fee will not be applicable.It will only be payable if you pay the mortgage early.These fees are also waived in other circumstances e.g porting your product or if you increase the debt.£90 seems pretty good.All these conditions should be in your terms and conditions leaflet.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't agree with you, ffm.

It isn't necessarily an "early redemption fee". Sometimes it's just a "redemption administration charge" and may therefore be charged in the event of redemption at the end of the term.

Porting also doesn't seem a necessary reason for it to be waived and I don't believe that all lenders will waive in these circumstances. People port because they have to, in almost all circumstances, rather than because they want to and they aren't doing the lender a favour by doing so. So why should the fee be waived?
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I don't know if it's something that will be changed. I know it's what I got charged last year when I discharged my mortgage with Nationwide.

Started a new mortgage this year and just wondered. Thanks.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business