Paypal scam - am i going to lose money?

Options
Hiya
Can anyone offer advise on this? I've just received an email supposedly from paypal saying it was a receipt for a salsa dress I had supposedly bought for £36.00. I've not bought this item. It also said....'if you have not bought this item please click here'. Which I didn't. I entered paypal through google and there's no such transaction on my account. I went to forward it to paypal but a pop up box came up saying this would verify my email address to whoever had sent it and that would result in more spam. What do i do? Can they get money from my paypal account? Should I close my paypal account?

Please help.

Thankyou.
January budget
Nothing left!

Comments

• kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    They haven't got access to your paypal account, its just an email designed to make you click their link. It'll look like paypal but then when you enter your details they will have them and then they can access your account.

You could change your password to be sure. If they had your account details though, they would do everything to stop you from realising, not send an email! Normal paypal emails don't say 'if you didn't buy this... click here'!!!

I'm not sure about the forwarding thing, you don't want to verify your address to spammers. Best to just delete and forget about it. Paypal know all about these emails but they keep coming!!

x
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • LJD1_2
    LJD1_2 Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that. I'm aware these spoofs go on but it's really shocked me. I so nearly clicked on the 'if you've not ordered this'. Little sods!
    January budget
    Nothing left!
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    LJD1 wrote:
    Thanks for that. I'm aware these spoofs go on but it's really shocked me. I so nearly clicked on the 'if you've not ordered this'. Little sods!

I know, it catches you unawares doesn't it?! And the trouble is, some people must really click on them and give out their details, otherwise it wouldn't be worth the spammers' trouble and they wouldn't bother :rolleyes:
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • Guy_Montag
    Guy_Montag Posts: 2,291 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's just a scam, delete it.

Don't forget to run a regular virus scan & spyware scan.

I use:
    zonealarm (free firewall)
    avg free edition (anti-virus)
    spybot (anti spyware)
    ad-aware (much the same)

They seem to keep my system clean & healthy
    "Mrs. Pench, you've won the car contest, would you like a triumph spitfire or 3000 in cash?" He smiled.
    Mrs. Pench took the money. "What will you do with it all? Not that it's any of my business," he giggled.
    "I think I'll become an alcoholic," said Betty.
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    I had a similar email a few months ago.
    Mine was also a 'salsa dress'
    I noted the item number and viewed it. there had been thousands of hits on this item, which had finished.
    I forwarded it to paypal who confirmed it was a spoof.
    I did change my password though, just to be sure.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They just look so realistic - I am getting at least 3 Barclays scam emails a day and one Paypal a week, plus ones for banks I didn't even know existed.
    And I'm firewalled!!!
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    i get them quite regular.... just delete them... but it is shock the first time you get them ...i also change my password to ebay and payal regular as well... just a precaution.......
    Work to live= not live to work
  • kickingkay
    Options
    STOP AND PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!!!!
    i have had my paypal account hacked even though paypal said it was impossible 4 of us from all over the world ended up losing out on over £500 we had mixed transactions from a certain user who hacked all our accounts to launder ( money) when i went to purchase something for £5.99 it took the £549.99 from my bank account to clear my overdrawn funds first!!!
    i managed to get my funds returned but it took time something i couldnt of afforded at the time
    the other thing to watch out for it overbidding on big eletrical items tv xbox mobile phones etc the new thing is you receive an email from the wining bidder stating there are funds waiting to clear form buyeers account on receipt of receiving items won my friend had this very thing happen to her and is in the process of warning all users that have had bids from this buyer
    LIGHT BULB MOMENT, JUST IN THE NICK OF TIME!

DEBT JAN 2006 £83000:eek:
    DEBT MAY 2007 £40000 :eek:
  • Dr.Shoe_2
    Dr.Shoe_2 Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    Options
    I never ever click on a link in an Email even if it's from someone I know.
    [strike]-£20,000[/strike] 0!
  • stev1664
    stev1664 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    You shouldn't reply to those type of emails, just copy the transaction number, login to your paypal account and send them a complaint through their contact link..

If paypal are causing you trouble, you can contact your bank and tell them to stop this perticular transaction.

i think you'll be fine on this one...........
    Money, control it. not the other way round
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport