Threatening Legal action :(

Options
3G wrote to me a little while ago requesting £66 from a previous contract settled 6 months ago. I checked my CRF and the account is shown as settled. I wrote to 3 asking for them to provide details of why and how I owe this amount. This was all around 2 or 3 weeks ago. No reply from them.

This morning I have recieved a rude letter form moorcroft threatening legal action if I dont pay.

To start with if i remember rightly they cannot chase me for an amount that is in dispute. Nor take any legal action!

just looking for some assistance and wondering if there is a letter template explaining the amount is in dispute. If no template, would be pleased if someone can point me to the legal jargon for the letter to draw up myself.

As always, thanks.

Comments

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Phil,

Moorcroft again:mad: :mad: :mad:

It is against the OFT guidelines for a DCA to pursue a debt which is still in dispute. A full copy of OFT guidelines can be seen at https://www.oft.gov.uk

Best of Luck
    Rog2
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Phil3822
    Phil3822 Posts: 604 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheers, am in the middle of drafting a letter up. I've dealt with moorcroft scum a few years back whilst in trouble. Really want to persue and take one of these vampire DCA's down. Little chance...
  • cattie1
    cattie1 Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    Options
    you should have sent the letter recorded delivery then you could have proved you had disputed the amount.
    they still can't do anthing though if they haven't given you full information.
    official dfw nerd club member no 214
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!;)
    Why is a person that handles your money called a broker?!:confused:
  • AGB863
    AGB863 Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The relevent section from the OFT Debt Collection Guidance is here

Deceptive and/or unfair methods
    2.7 Dealings with debtors are not to be deceitful and/or unfair.
    2.8 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

i. failing to investigate and/or provide details as appropriate, when a debt is queried or disputed, possibly resulting in debtors being wrongly pursued

k. not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt

The whole document is here

www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/50F06527-9FC5-4610-B385-999D6E2A8950/0/oft664.pdf
    I am a debt counsellor working in the voluntary sector - we don't charge our clients for the work we do!
  • Tootsie_Roll
    Options
    The first thing that occured to me was - Do Moorcroft know the debt is in dispute ? Probably not; it's all very well getting all militant about it but you need to advise them first of this fact THEN if they persist is the time to report them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure