We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Rolling pastry

Hi there

I plan to make mince pies over the weekend and need advice on what to use to roll the pastry on.

I'm not the tallest in the world, so the counter top is marginally too high to do it comfortably and does not have huge area either, and my dining table is oak, os not great there either.

Is there anything I can buy for this purpose (I know, I know, you are all thinking MSE!), which will serve the purpose and yet be easy to clean afterwards?
A smile costs little but creates much :)

Comments

  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    I cover the work surface with cling film and roll pastry on that to stop it sticking - maybe you could do that with the dining table?
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Do you have a plastic table-cloth or something similar you can put on the dining-table? Or perhaps a large bread-board with a sheet of plastic underneath?

    I'll get my thinking-cap on and if I get a brain-wave, I'll be back.
  • Do you have a plastic table-cloth or something similar you can put on the dining-table? Or perhaps a large bread-board with a sheet of plastic underneath?

    I'll get my thinking-cap on and if I get a brain-wave, I'll be back.


    Never thought of the table cloth idea, mine are all linen, sounds posh, but I got them free from my aunts restaurant!
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • I use a glass worktop saver if I am using my table. :)
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • rachbc wrote: »
    I cover the work surface with cling film and roll pastry on that to stop it sticking - maybe you could do that with the dining table?

    Great idea, I have a ginormous catering roll of cling film
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
  • I use a glass worktop saver if I am using my table. :)

    Where could I get one? Obviously want the best for the cheapest cost
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.