We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Apple Curd?

Hi all,

I have been given a big bag of bramley apples and I want to make a christmas gift with them...

I was thinking apple and cinnamon curd but lots of places say this will only stay fresh for a few weeks and it's a while till xmas yet.

Any other ideas or recipes for apple curd that will keep longer?

Kevin x

Comments

  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I *think* you could freeze the apples if you cooked them, and then just defrost to use in your recipe closer to the time.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I've never head of apple curd but it sounds delectable! Would you share this recipe please?
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    I just found this recipe.

    Do you think this would thicken up like ordinary apple curd or still be a bit thin?? I presume it would keep longer than the ordinary stuff without butter and eggs?
  • Kevie192
    Kevie192 Posts: 1,146 Forumite
    Oh and I forgot to ask, what kind of oil would be best? sunflower?
  • Kevie192 wrote: »
    I just found this recipe.

    Do you think this would thicken up like ordinary apple curd or still be a bit thin?? I presume it would keep longer than the ordinary stuff without butter and eggs?

    The recipe says it will keep for up to a month ;)
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Do you have any other fruit? I you do, you could make jam or jelly which will last longer.
  • Kevie192 wrote: »
    Oh and I forgot to ask, what kind of oil would be best? sunflower?

    Hi Kevie

    The recipe uses vegetable oil, but I have made it with sunflower oil.

    HTH

    Jenny
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Hi it's as thick as lemon curd. Allegra had some which lasted for 6 weeks because she bottled it into sterilised jars. :)

    It can also be frozen (not in glass jars!)

    :hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.