Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

non-alcoholic mulled wine / gluehwein

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
19 replies 23.4K views
2»

Replies

• CCStarCCStar Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Prune juice reminds me of mulled wine. Heat and mix in mulled wine spices.

Healthy and keeps you regular too!
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • lickylonglipslickylonglips Forumite
    349 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    we made a syrup of a cup of sugar dissolved in 2 cups of water with a couple of cinnamon sticks, the peel of 2 clementines and some nutmeg. this was brought to a boil, then simmered for 5 minutes. this was then strained. to this was added 2 litres of red grape juice and 100ml of lemon juice. this was simmered for 15 minutes. was delicious.
  • it's not as cheap as a recipe, but last year at a carol concert they served Bottle Green Spiced Berry cordial (the brand that does the great elderflower cordial) - we all actually thought it was alcoholic mulled wine! i've bought many a bottle since, and having tried non-alcoholic bevvies of all sorts (from non-alc whiskey to all the supermarket 0% lagers) i can say it's one of the best drinks to have all year round. cordial / water ratio is 1:12 i think so a bottle really lasts - trust me, you should try it :beer:
  • Jo4Jo4 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    it's not as cheap as a recipe, but last year at a carol concert they served Bottle Green Spiced Berry cordial (the brand that does the great elderflower cordial) - we all actually thought it was alcoholic mulled wine! i've bought many a bottle since, and having tried non-alcoholic bevvies of all sorts (from non-alc whiskey to all the supermarket 0% lagers) i can say it's one of the best drinks to have all year round. cordial / water ratio is 1:12 i think so a bottle really lasts - trust me, you should try it :beer:

Thanks for this. The 500ml bottle is supposed to be on offer in Sainsburys and Tesco at £2.50. I am going to try and get some on Friday and I'll get to try it on Saturday!! :j :beer:
  • Need2bthriftyNeed2bthrifty Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    it's not as cheap as a recipe, but last year at a carol concert they served Bottle Green Spiced Berry cordial (the brand that does the great elderflower cordial) - we all actually thought it was alcoholic mulled wine! i've bought many a bottle since, and having tried non-alcoholic bevvies of all sorts (from non-alc whiskey to all the supermarket 0% lagers) i can say it's one of the best drinks to have all year round. cordial / water ratio is 1:12 i think so a bottle really lasts - trust me, you should try it :beer:

I love the spicy berry cordial and would second this recommendation - i havent tried it warmed up but its great watered down with soda or sparkling water and yes a little goes a long way.
  • Mrs_CheshireMrs_Cheshire Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco were doing a christmas food tasting and had the spicy berry cordial as a taster, was delicious. Was tempted to buy a bottle, may have to get some before the offer runs out!
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • Ikea do a none alcoholic one, it's amazing and only something like £1.90 a bottle!
  • Jo4Jo4 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    M&S sell Mulled Punch for £1.99 a bottle. When they were offering a discount for purchasing 6 bottles of wine I purchased 6 bottles of wine and 6 bottles of Mulled Punch and I got the discount on both. :money: :j
  • FruballFruball Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mulled apple juice is far nicer (and I love my wine!)

Apple juice, star anise x 2, cinnamon stick, orange zest

Simple and gorgeous :)
This discussion has been closed.