🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

5 Year fixed rate or term Tracker.

Options
Hi all,

Just after your thoughts on which way to jump :0)

We are currently on SVR with our bank - came out of fixed a few months ago and are looking to switch for the best deal. They have offered us both a fixed rate for 5 years at 4.79% and a term tracker at 2.49% over base (so 2.99% at present).

No fees, or tie in on the tracker.

Its not quite the best we can find but the others want upfront fees which I dont want to pay (the one we were offered was 2.14% above base with £1500 approx fees) and only for 2 years.

The tracker is £200 a month cheaper than the fixed and by my reckoning it will take 7 x .25% rate rises to reach the same level as the fixed. Are my maths right ??

We over pay by about 40% a month and this will continue.

So you lovely peeps I need you to get your crystal balls out and advise us which way to jump :0)

Cheers muchly for any thoughts on this one.

I have to add that to my mind the tracker is the way to go but it just seems abit too good to be true and I suppose I am looking for things I haven't thought of :0)
My post count doesn't reflect the amount of time spent on here :0) I just keep forgetting my login details - now saved.

Comments

• Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For informed response it would help to have an idea re. a) your attitude to risk / preference for certainty of payment, and b) whether either deal restricts the amount of overpayments possible.
  • Myrtle0204
    Options
    Hi Yorkie,

Thanks for your reply. We have no kids (and none planned) so all income is our own, no other debt to speak of and we have savings ~(shares). So all things being equal could afford if rates go up.

The tracker is approx £100 less than the SVR and the fixed approx £70 more per month.

The fixed rate allows overpayments of 20% per month and the tracker allows any overpayment we choose.

I have read that rates are predicted (crystal ball time) to stay the same for the next 12 months and I am reluctant to overpay into the fixed rate until we have to. The trouble is (obviously) not knowing what rates are going to do - the beauty of the tracker is that we can convert to fixed rate (at potentially a worse rate) at any time but in the meantime we will have paid off more of the capital and the overpayments will further improve our LTV.

I hope that answers the questions :0) cheers again for your reply
    My post count doesn't reflect the amount of time spent on here :0) I just keep forgetting my login details - now saved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport