🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mortgage Chances?

Options
Hi there,

My wife and I are now looking to buy a property after renting the first year and a half of our marraige.

The property I am looking at is valued at £85,000 fixed. I am self-employed and my wife is employed.

My first two years of business were a bit slower as you would expect, so my net profit was around £15k both years. My business is really picking up now though and I expect a profit of just over £20k for this years accounts and a minimum of £25k the year after due to a few brand new contracts. I do my own accounts and self-assesment (an advisor at HSBC has already said that won't be a problem)

My wife earns around £10,000 per year before tax and has been in her job over a year.

What are our chances of getting a mortgage?

Comments

• Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you will fit affordability for certain lenders. You do not say what figure you want to borrow, but I think 90% should be doable if your credit score is ok (ignore the usualy generic scores from Experian et al, these are not a good guide as to how lenders will score you.
  • beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How much of a deposit have you saved? Do you also have money set aside for fees?
  • slickdt
    slickdt Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    It would be a 90% mortgage.

The particular mortgage we are looking at has no fee.

Is there any other fees we should know about?
  • beecher2
    beecher2 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Solicitors fees - get quotes from a few solicitors to see what you'd be looking at.
    Survey fees
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whilst 90% may be available - as to whether HSBC will go this far on competitive deals is another question - only HSBC will know the answer
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport